Apples are a wonderful part of fall, but when you’re practically drowning in apples due to your weekly CSA share, eating plain apples can get a bit dull. Our solution to an excess of apples? An apple crisp-filled apple! Instead of making apple crisp in a pan, this recipe uses hollowed-out apples as a bowl for single serving portions of warm apple filling and yummy crumble, which makes for a much easier cleanup.

Easy

Prep Time: 15 to 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35-40 minutes

Servings: 4

apple crisp

Photo by Patrick Domingo

6 tablespoons butter, divided
1/2 cup flour
3 tablespoon brown sugar
6 apples
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon nutmeg

1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2. To make the crumble, mix together the flour and sugar and then add in 4 tablespoons of butter (cut it into small pieces first), squishing it between your fingers until it forms pea sized lumps and everything is incorporated.

apple crisp

Photo by Patrick Domingo

3. Spread the crumble in a foil or parchment-lined sheet pan and bake until golden brown (about 15 to 20 minutes).

apple crisp

Photo by Patrick Domingo

4. Meanwhile, hollow out four of the apples with a spoon (or a knife, if you’re feeling dangerous). Save these apple “bowls” and toss out the cores.

apple crisp

Photo by Patrick Domingo

apple crisp

Photo by Patrick Domingo

apple crisp

Photo by Patrick Domingo

5. Dice the remaining 2 apples into bite-sized pieces, toss with sugar and spices and set aside.

apple crisp

Photo by Patrick Domingo

7. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and once it starts bubbling, add the apple pieces and cook while stirring until soft. Remove from the heat and set aside.

apple crisp

Photo by Patrick Domingo

9. Stuff the cooked apple pieces into the apple “bowls” and top with the prepared crumble. For a more decadent treat, top with some ice cream or homemade whipped cream!

apple crisp

Photo by Patrick Domingo

apple crisp

Photo by Patrick Domingo