If you want to spice up your baking repertoire beyond boxed Duncan Hines mixes, this dessert is for you. I love this recipe because of its versatility; I've made it gluten-free (just substitute the flour and oats with your standard gluten-free version), and I've even made this in a toaster oven when I didn't have access to a real oven. You can also play around with the types of apples you use.

Every time this apple-cranberry comes out of the oven, my friends devour it in minutes and ask me how I made something so fancy. While it might look complex, this perfect crumble is actually incredibly simple (the hardest part cutting up the apples, I promise).  

Apple Cranberry Crunch

• Total Time:1 hr 10 mins

• 2 cup all-purpose flour sifted
  • 2 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
  • 1 cup or 2 sticks margarine melted
  • 2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 4 Cortland apples peeled and cut into small chunks
  • 1 14-oz can whole berry cranberry sauce
  • 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
Photo by Aerin Rosenfeld
Photo by Aerin Rosenfeld

Step 1

Preheat oven to 375°. Coat a 9x13 baking tin (aluminum tins work as well) with nonstick spray.

Step 2

In a bowl, mix the 2 cups of flour, brown sugar, oats, margarine and cinnamon.
Aerin Rosenfeld
Aerin Rosenfeld

Step 3

Set 1 1/2 cups of this mixture aside for later use. Press the rest of the mixture into the pan.
Aerin Rosenfeld
Aerin Rosenfeld

Step 4

In a new bowl, combine the apples, cranberry sauce and 2 tablespoons of flour. Mix with a spoon.
Aerin Rosenfeld
Aerin Rosenfeld

Step 5

Pour apple mixture into the crust.
Aerin Rosenfeld
Aerin Rosenfeld

Step 6

Sprinkle the remaining crust mixture on top to cover evenly. Bake for 40 minutes.
Aerin Rosenfeld
Aerin Rosenfeld

Step 7

NOM.
Aerin Rosenfeld
Aerin Rosenfeld