Breakfast, it seems, has been universally deemed the most important meal of the day, so why not share it with some friends or roommates?  The beauty of a family style dish is that everyone gets to sit down and eat at the same time and there is no need to wait politely for others while the delicious-looking food in front of you becomes ice-cold.  This recipe takes the anticipation out of waiting for multiple batches of pancakes to cook on the griddle, so chowing down can ensue as soon as it is removed from the oven.  Eat it for breakfast, brunch or even brinner (breakfast for dinner), and let go of a little bit of your independence for one meal. You won’t regret it.

Medium

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes

Servings: 4

1/3 cup and 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2/3 cup milk
2 large eggs
Dash of salt
¾ cup shredded mild Cheddar cheese
1 and ½ Honeycrisp apples
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Confectioners’ sugar
Ovenproof Skillet, 10 to 12 inches across the bottom

1. Set oven to 375°F, make sure one rack is in center of oven.
2. Combine flour (1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons), 1 tablespoon sugar, milk, eggs and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk until smooth.
3. Stir in cheese, and mix ingredients until they you achieve an even consistency.

Photo by Sarah Stettin

4. Peel, core and cut apples into thin slices.
5. Melt butter in ovenproof skillet over medium heat.  Add apple slices, and cook for 2-3 minutes.  Sprinkle remaining tablespoon of sugar over apples while they are cooking.

Photo by Sarah Stettin

6. Remove pan from heat and spread cooked apples evenly over bottom of pan.
7. Pour batter over apple slices.
8. Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes, or until the pancake is browned and very puffy.

Photo by Sarah Stettin

9. Remove from oven (pancake will quickly collapse).
10. Using a strainer, dust pancake with a thick coating of confectioners’ sugar.

Photo by Sarah Stettin

11. Cut into slices and serve.