April means that after a long and dreadful winter, the sun is shining, the smell of fresh dirt and emerging tulips is in the air, and friends are outside laughing and playing Frisbee on the quad. April means classes are coming to an end, and everyone is getting psyched for summertime. April also means that it is cherry season, a precious time that should not be overlooked.

Sweet cherries in their prime—mahogany in color and shaped like tiny round hearts—are in abundance in food markets for no more than 3-4 months out of the year. Because cherries are available for such a short amount of time, they should be used in everything and anything while they are in stock, from savory chicken dishes to sweet desserts.

This cherry berry pie recipe is the kind of dessert you bring to the back porch on a warm night and savor while you watch the sun go down. It is the kind of dessert you serve to impress your parents or friends, never telling them how easy it is to make. A slice of this pie is an oozy, buttery, slightly tart piece of heaven in a bowl.

Medium

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 65 minutes

Servings: 8 slices

2 frozen pie crusts, thawed
2 cups fresh sweet cherries
1 cup blueberries
1 cup blackberries
1 cup raspberries
¾ cup sugar
1 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter, melted

1. Remove pie crusts from freezer and allow to thaw according to directions.

cherry berry pie

Photo by Kristin Brennan

2. Mix cherries, berries, sugar, flour, and salt in a large bowl.

cherry berry pie

Photo by Kristin Brennan

3. Fill prepared pie crust with cherry mixture.

cherry berry pie

Photo by Kristin Brennan

4. Top with second pie crust and brush melted butter on top.

cherry berry pie

Photo by Kristin Brennan

5. Bake for 45 minutes at 350°F. Serve warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream.

cherry berry pie

Photo by Kristin Brennan

Check out these other dessert recipes that are perfect for spring: