As the days get warmer and motivation to study declines rapidly, the only thing on my mind is enjoying the sunshine and sipping on a nice, cool beverage. While I’m all for lemonades and juices of various sorts, it’s easy to mindlessly consume unthinkable amounts of refined sugar, which inevitably causes a sugar crash, falling asleep in the sun, and thereby waking up sunburnt to a crisp.

Enter the agua fresca, a healthier alternative to popular cane sugar-filled drinks that won’t make you feel lazy or sluggish. Agua frescas are light, refreshing and made almost entirely from fresh fruit. Plus, they’re ideal mixers if you really want to get the party started.

Below are two recipes for agua frescas, but you can get as creative as you want in your fruit combinations, whether you add booze or  serve them as is or over ice. The choice is yours.

agua fresca

Photo by Kathleen Lee

Strawberry Lemon Agua Fresca

Easy

Prep time: 3 minutes
Blend time: 2 minutes
Total time: 5 minutes

Servings: 1 standard glass

2 handfuls frozen strawberries
10 oz. agave water
Juice of 1 lemon
4 oz. tequila blanco, or preferred liquor (optional)

Directions:
1. The first step in preparing an agua fresca of any sort is making agave water, the liquid base for the drink. The easiest way to do this is to pour approximately 1 oz. of agave nectar into a mason jar and fill the rest with water. Shut the lid tight and shake it until the two substances are fully mixed.

agua fresca

Photo by Kathleen Lee

2. Once you have your agave water prepared, pour approximately 5 oz. into the blender. Then, add strawberries.

3. Squeeze the juice of a lemon into the blender.

agua fresca

Photo by Kathleen Lee

4. Blend on high until most of the chunks are gone. Then, add the remaining agave water and blend again until fully incorporated.

5. Add tequila if desired, or pour and serve!

agua fresca

Photo by Kathleen Lee

Peach Watermelon Agua Fresca

Easy

Prep time: 3 minutes
Blend time: 2 minutes
Total time: 5 minutes

Servings: 1 standard glass

2 handfuls frozen peaches
6 oz. watermelon juice
6 oz. agave water (recipe below)

Directions:
1. Prepare agave water according to recipe, as previously stated. Cut watermelon and juice desired amount. I used a couple spears and had some juice left over. Note: you can also purchase juiced watermelon at most local grocery stores. 

agua fresca

Photo by Kathleen Lee

2. Put your handful of peaches in the blender and pour the watermelon juice in with them. Blend on high until there are no more chunks.

3. Pour the agave water into the peach-watermelon mixture and blend until fully mixed.

agua fresca

Photo by Kathleen Lee

4. Add tequila or your choice of liquor if desired, or just pour and enjoy!

Looking for more summery drinks? Check these out: