The classic chocolate cookie is heavenly, don’t get me wrong. As any college student knows, this is a time in our lives to try new things- so why not start with a unique spin on the original dessert? Break out of your comfort zone in the kitchen rather than at a frat party. A pinch of cayenne can’t hurt.

4 Unique Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix-Ins

• Prep Time:15 minutes
  • Cook Time:12 minutes
  • Total Time:27 minutes

• 1/2 cup softened butter
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cup flour
  • 2 teaspoon cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 3/8 cup white chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup dried cherries
  • 1 cup semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
  • 1 teaspoon orange zest
  • 1/4 cup chopped sautéed bacon
  • pinch cardamom
  • pinch cayenne pepper
Photo by Pippa Leigh

Preheat oven to 350°F. Beat together the softened butter and sugars in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Add in the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt gradually. This is your base. Divide dough into four to make the recipe with the listed proportions.

GIF by Pippa Leigh

For the lemon-meringue pie cookie: add the lemon zest and white chocolate chips and mix completely.

GIF by Pippa Leigh

For the chocolate-covered cherry cookie: add in the dried cherries, chocolate chips, and white chocolate chips. Mix completely.

GIF by Pippa Leigh

For the chocolate-covered bacon cookie: add the chopped bacon and semi-sweet chocolate chips. Mix completely.

GIF by Pippa Leigh

For the Bollywood bling cookie: add the orange zest, semi-sweet chocolate chips, cardamom and cayenne. Mix completely (especially the spices so all the cayenne doesn’t end up in one cookie).

GIF by Pippa Leigh

Shape the dough into ping-pong sized balls and place spread out on a large cookie sheet. Bake for 12 minutes until edges are just set.

GIF by Pippa Leigh