Who run the world? Bread.

Carbs are hands down the best food group out there. If you don’t agree, you’re lying. Even Oprah says so, and we don’t argue with Oprah.

Unfortunately, we all depressingly know that carbs are a double-edged sword — delicious, but they also carry a notoriously bad rep for messing up diets everywhere. When I heard of this self-proclaimed “no-carb cloud bread” (that’s supposedly delicious — and gluten-free!), I was more than skeptical.

The long-awaited answer to all carb-loving dieters’ prayers sounded way too good to be true, but it actually tastes delicious and the light and fluffy texture melts in your mouth. Don’t be shocked if you end up eating all of these within 10 minutes.

As Patrick Henry said, “Give me bread, or give me death!” Way more accurate than the original quote, TBH. 

The recipe calls for rosemary as optional (because what college student has fresh herbs on hand?), but since the bread’s main ingredient is egg, there definitely is a decent underhand eggy flavor to it, and the rosemary (any herbs will do, really) does a lot to help cover it.

Disclaimer: if you don’t have an electric mixer and hand whip the egg whites, it will take a long time and your arms will be sore the next morning.

Cloud Bread

• Prep Time:25 minutes
  • Cook Time:20 minutes
  • Total Time:45 minutes
  • Servings:8-10

• 3 eggs
  • 3 tablespoon cream cheese (room temperature)
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • Rosemary (optional)
Photo by Brenna Mauro

Preheat oven to 300°F

Separate the egg whites from the yolks. Put whites and yolks into two separate bowls.

#SpoonTip: You can use a plastic bottle if you want to be super legit.

GIF courtesy of tinypic.com

Mix the room temperature cream cheese, yolks, and honey together until smooth.

#SpoonTip: If your cream cheese isn’t room temperature, pop it in the microwave for 10-20 seconds.

Photo by Brenna Mauro

Add the baking powder to the egg whites and whip, whip, and whip until the mixture is fluffy (NOT foamy) and looks like whipped cream with soft peaks.

#SpoonTip: This is slightly tedious if you don’t have an electric mixer. If you do have one, congratulations — you have your shit together. 

Photo by Brenna Mauro

Slowly add the yolk mixture to the egg white mixture. Carefully fold together until there are no yellow streaks.

#SpoonTip: Don’t pour it in all at once or it will kill your egg white fluffiness.

Spoon 8-10 rounds of the mixture onto a greased oven pan.

Photo by Brenna Mauro

Pop in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Photo by Brenna Mauro