Summer time is quickly approaching – which means, it’s cherry season.

Every year, my mom makes this easy cherry dump cake for my birthday. The warm cherries topped with toasted almonds glazed over with melted butter will give you life. If I could choose to eat the whole thing by myself, I would. So now that I have the opportunity to share this magical creation, we can all make our own personal cakes and not have to guilty, together.

Make a day out of it by going to local cherry picking farms to create your own cherry filling. Fruit picking of any sort is a great summertime activity that is not only fun, but rewarding because you picked your fruit by hand. Grab a hat and some gloves and you’re ready for some summer fun.

But if you’re running on a time limit, this recipe could be your go-to favorite. And when I say cherry dump cake, I really mean dumping things into a pan. It’s that easy. Bring this cake to your next Fourth of July event and be the talk of the party with this perfectly tart dessert. Trust me, it will be gone.

#SpoonTip: Ingredients are adjustable to the size of your glass or ceramic baking pan. 

Cherry Dump Cake

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:50-60 minutes
  • Total Time:60-70 minutes

• 2 cans of cherry filling
  • 1 box of white cake mix
  • 1 packet of sliced almonds
  • 1/2 stick of butter
Photo by Cecilia Leng

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Gather your ingredients together.

Pour cherry filling into your glass or ceramic baking pan. The size of the pan depends on how much pie you intend to make. I used an 8×8 glass pan.

#SpoonTip: The amount of cans of cherries is up to you, just make sure you leave enough room for a layer of cake mix and toppings. The recommended number of cans of cherries is two.

Photo by Cecilia Leng

Gently pour the entire package of cake mix onto the cherry filling.

Photo by Cecilia Leng

Melt your butter in the microwave. While you wait for your butter, scatter the almonds over the cake mix.

Photo by Cecilia Leng

Glaze the butter over the almonds.

Photo by Cecilia Leng

Bake it all in the oven for 50 minutes or until golden brown.

Photo by Cecilia Leng

Admire your creation and let cool for about 5-10 minutes. Then you are ready to devour!

#SpoonTip: This cake would be perfectly complimented by some vanilla ice cream.

Photo by Cecilia Leng