Two of my favorite foods: falafel and hummus. Two of everyone’s favorite foods: falafel and hummus. The commonality? CHICKPEAS. Magical on their own, but always even more magical when transformed.

Alas, while dreaming of spring break in Mexico in my snowed-in Boston dorm room (thank you, Juno), I couldn’t help but find myself with an incurable craving for some good-ass Mexican food. Trouble was, I had a simultaneous craving for falafel – I’m Greek, so I’m always craving falafel – and that’s when I remembered The Pancake Princess’s chickpea taco meat. It tastes exactly how it sounds: like some taco meat and a falafel made a love child. Plus, why go to Mexico when you can just eat tacos in your apartment? Cue Netflix and my fat pants.

Easy

Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
Total Time: 30 Minutes

Servings: 2-4

For the taco seasoning:

1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 tablespoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika (*we substituted chipotle powder)
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
a few grinds of black pepper

For the taco meat:

1 cup chickpea flour
1 cup chopped white or yellow onion
olive oil (*we substituted canola)
salt

vegan

Photo by Andrew Zaky

1. In a medium saucepan (preferably non-stick), put 2 cups of water on to boil.

vegan

Photo by Andrew Zaky

2. Combine spices in a small bowl. Mix well.

vegan

Photo by Andrew Zaky

3. Put ¾ of the seasoning into a medium-sized bowl with the chickpea flour. Stir to combine.

vegan

Photo by Andrew Zaky

4. Once the water boils, stir in the chickpea flour mixture and lower heat to medium. Continue to stir, breaking apart any clumps, for 1-2 minutes.

vegan

Photo by Andrew Zaky

5. Remove saucepan from heat and spread chunks of mixture, using spoon, onto a baking sheet. Let “set” for 20 minutes.

vegan

Photo by Andrew Zaky

6. Drizzle some oil into a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add onion and remaining taco seasoning. Cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes.

vegan

Photo by Andrew Zaky

7. Add the chickpea meat and cook for an additional minute or until heated through. Feel free to cook longer until it gets some color or forms an outer crust for additional texture.

vegan

Photo by Andrew Zaky

8. Remove from heat and serve immediately.

vegan

Photo courtesy of The Pancake Princess

You might also be interested in: