Contrary to popular belief that the holiday season solely consists of Thanksgiving and Christmas, I am a strong believer that in the college world the season begins with Halloween. It's the perfect excuse to dress silly without being judged, break your crazy anti-freshman 15 diet, and enjoy lots of good boo's.

My favorite way to get my friends into the Halloween groove is by baking for them, which is how I discovered these three fun rice krispies treat recipes. This step-by-step recipe for Frankenstein, Candy Corn, and Monster-themed rice krispies treats will help you get your friends in the spooky mood  What's so great about rice krispies treats? Well, you can whip them up in a dorm kitchen because they are super simple.  

Creepy Krispies Treats

• 3 tbsp butter
  • 2 packages mini marshmallows
  • 6 cups crisped rice cereal
  • 1 package semisweet chocolate chunks
  • 1 package white sixlets
  • food coloring
cake, chocolate
Krista Stark

Melt 1/2 of a package of mini marshmallows with 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat.

milk, butter, corn, cereal
    Krista Stark

Add 5 drops of green food coloring and stir.

vegetable, soup
    Krista Stark

Lower heat. Add 2 cups of crisped rice cereal and mix until fully combined.

vegetable, meat, risotto, saute
    Krista Stark

Press the mixture into 1/3 of a lined 13x9'' pan.

Repeat steps 1-4, using orange food coloring instead. Press the orange krispies into the second third of the pan.

rice, risotto, meat, vegetable
    Krista Stark

Repeat steps 1-4 again, this time adding no food coloring. Press the plain krispies into the final third of the pan.

cereal, rice, vegetable, wheat, corn, couscous
    Krista Stark

After allowing the pan and its contents to cool, melt the chocolate in a separate bowl.

Cut the green and plain rice krispies treats into rectangles, and the orange krispies into triangles. Dip the tops of the orange and green treats into the dark chocolate.

chocolate, milk, cream, candy
    Krista Stark

For the Frankenstein treat, press two white sixlets into the green treats for eyes, and use a plastic bag with a hole poked in it to draw mouths and pupils.

vegetable, chocolate, lettuce
    Krista Stark

Melt your leftover marshmallows and spread on the tips of the orange treats to make candy corns.

chocolate, cream, candy, sweet, cake, goody
    Krista Stark

Add food coloring to the leftover melted marshmallows, and dip the tips of the white treats in. Use the same procedure with the sixlets to give them as many spooky eyes as you want.

chocolate, candy, cream, cake
    Krista Stark

Now you've got yourself some crunchy and adorable rice krispies treats. You may want to throw them in the fridge to cool the chocolate and marshmallows, then take them out, share, and enjoy. Happy Halloween!

rice, teriyaki, chicken
Krista Stark