Tucked away on a hillside of The Square, the Irish Lion welcomes students and townies to come in and try its traditional Irish cuisine. The restaurant features a wide variety of dishes, which range in price as well — whether you’re craving a burger, a seafood plate, or traditionally prepared lamb, the Irish Lion has all the bases covered.

Irish Lion

Photo by Alyssa Modos

Appetizers

Irish Lion

Photo by Alyssa Modos

A few of the many amazing appetizers include oysters, “leprechaun” wings, escargot, and my personal favorite, Blarney Puffballs. The Puffballs are fried potato and cheese balls, which are crispy on the outside and pillow-y on the inside. Who doesn’t want to eat pillow-y, cheesy potato greatness?

Main Course

Irish Lion

Photo by Alyssa Modos

As far as entrees, if your pockets are feeling a bit empty (time to give mom and dad a call, if you know what I’m sayin’), the Irish Lion has plenty of dishes that are on the cheaper side. If you’re feeling something super Irish, you can’t beat the Lamb Burger. If you want to stick to being a tried-and-true American, you can choose from the Blarney Burger, the Chicken Sandwich, or the Chicken Tenders. ‘Merica.

Irish Lion

Photo by Alyssa Modos

If you’re feeling like Daddy Warbucks, the Leg O’Lamb entree is killer. I’ve also heard great things about the Roast Duckling Rineanna and the Corned Beef and Cabbage. The Irish Lion also has more Americanized dishes in this price range, Filet Mignon and Lobster Tail among them.

Irish Lion

Photo by Alyssa Modos

Some of the entrees are offered with the soup of the day or a house salad as well as a slice of homemade soda bread (this bread is so good, it’ll make Oprah proud). Cream of mushroom soup is a regular, and it does not disappoint.

#SpoonTip: Go to The Irish Lion for lunch instead of dinner; the lunch portions are much cheaper.

Dessert

Irish Lion

Photo by Alyssa Modos

Moving on to my most favorite part, even though I’m always way too full by the time it comes around: dessert. The Irish Lion has two out-of-this-world desserts that I’ve tried, which are the Chocolate Cake and the Bailey’s Irish Cream Cake. The Chocolate Cake is six layers of heaven, and the Cream Cake is a delicious cheesecake with a chocolate crust.

The Irish Lion is a great place to grab dinner with the roomies, go on a date with your S/O, or to take your parents while they’re in town. With St. Paddy’s Day coming up, you have the perfect excuse to grab some of your favorite people and head down to The Square for some traditional Irish pub grub.