Who says you can only interact with animals at petting zoos and pet shops?

I’m not kitten, recently animal cafes have become all the rage and are popping up in more and more places. Whether you go solo or with a friend, being surrounded by animals means you will never be dining owl alone.

Yes, some places on this list may seem a little far, but next time you’re feline hungry for some adventure, remember to alpaca your bags and plan a trip around one of these toadally awesome cafes. No otter place will fulfill you with both food and four-legged, furry or feathered fun.

And whale, in case anyone was wondering, these animal puns were included on porpoise.

“Cat Flower Garden” (貓花園)

Dining

Photo Courtesy of CLARISSA WEI

Address: 111, Taiwan, Taipei City, Shilin District, Fuhua Rd, 129

Welcome to the first cat cafe ever to exist. Call it the Og of the animal cafe craze. Besides being home to 14 cats, the place also has 3 resident dogs.

As you sip on coffee embellished with paw print foam, feel free to buy some snacks that will hopefully win you a few minutes of feline fondness.

Crumbs & Whiskers

Address: 3211 O St NW, Washington, DC 20007

For something on the western side of the hemisphere this is the cat cafe for you. Come for drinks, come for macarons, but most importantly, come for cats.

The business is partnered with the local chapter of the Humane Society in order to provide a boarding space for around 15–25 cats at a time functioning as a kitty foster home until a more permanent home can be provided.

The Dog Cafe

Dining

Photo Courtesy of Olivia Niland

Address: 240 N Virgil Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90004

Not a cat person? Fear not. Credited as America’s first dog cafe, The Dog Cafe serves to revolutionize dog adoption.

Partnered with Grounds and Hounds Coffee Co. to bring you top-quality, Fair Trade Organic, 100% Arabic beans, the company also promises to donate 20% of all Southern California proceeds to local rescue partners.

So come get your coffee and puppy fix all in one place!

“Fukuro no Mise” Owl Cafe

Dining

Photo Courtesy of Mercury Press

Address: 3-35-2 Shinjuku 5F YM Bldg, Shinjuku 160-0022, Tokyo Prefecture

Raise your hand if you ever wanted a Hedwig of your own after watching Harry Potter. Well, Fukuro no Mise may not have owls trained to deliver your letters, but they do have tame owls for you to pet and play with as you drink.

SpoonTip: the cafe recommends foreigners to come in on Fridays when they have English speaking staff present.

R.a.a.g.f Bunny Cafe

Dining

Photo Courtesy of strawberryx3@hellokitty.com

Address: Jingumae 6-14-15, Maison Harajuku 3F, Harajuku Tokyo Prefecture Japan

Excuse me sir but there’s a hare in my food. Just kidding, but seriously, customers are encouraged to play, pet and feed the bouncing residents of this cafe. Feel free to feed them a carrot stick or veggie while you dine on some coffee and crackers.

Giraffe Manor

Dining

Photo Courtesy of travelwheretonext.com

Address: Karen Hardy, Nairobi, Kenya

An exclusive boutique hotel looking like something straight outta Africa, don’t be alarmed when the area’s resident Rothschild giraffe herd poke their heads in for a treat while you dine on breakfast or dinner.   

Ithaa Undersea Restaurant

Dining

Photo Courtesy of latimes.com

Address: Alifu Dhaalu Atoll, Maldives

20,000 leagues under the sea? Try fine European dining 16 feet below sea.

Rated “the most beautiful restaurant in the world” by The New York Daily News in 2014, Ithaa, or “mother of pearl” in Dhivehi, stays true to its name. So come let the fish accompany your meal cause darlin’ it’s better, down where it’s wetter, take it from me.

Cafe & Snake

Dining

Photo Courtesy of corriere.it

Address: Japan, 〒150-0001 Tokyo, Shibuya

Do you want a milk snake with that iced coffee? Opened in August 2015, the cafe boasts an impressive selection of 35 snakes from 20 different species.

After learning some snake etiquette and cafe rules, you’re free to choose a cold blooded companion to keep you company as you dine on original cakes, quiches and drinks.