Wow, I’m really craving a shot of apple cider vinegar — said no one ever. What is it about the apple cider vinegar craze that has people jumping on its bandwagon left and right?

Apparently, apple cider vinegar is a 360-degree winning formula for self-care. The most popular claim to its name — it aids in weight loss. Well, so do a lot of other products.

liquor, alcohol, vinegar, beer, whisky, maple syrup, wine, oil, syrup, juice, cider, mead
kelsey kushner
Let’s dive in deeper. What exactly is so special about apple cider vinegar? Because according to Mayo Clinic, drinking a small amount of apple cider vinegar before a meal, to help curb appetite and burn fat, has little scientific support.

Vinegar, in general, is packed with antioxidants. The type that prevents wrinkles and reduces the risk of cancer. Haven't heard that one before.

The trendy condiment is also supposed to improve blood sugar levels. Blood sugar levels? Are you really keeping track of that? According to Dr. Oz, drinking apple cider vinegar before a high-carb meal improves insulin sensitivity. Basically, it slows the rate at which blood sugar levels rise, and that’s a good thing.

juice, sweet
Phoebe Melnick

Other reasons people drink this stuff: it balances pH levels, it prevents illness, it whitens teeth, and it aids in digestion. I wouldn't mind having a pearly white smile, like Giada De Laurentiis.

Positive effects of apple cider vinegar, which don't include drinking it, are: it heals bruises and sunburn, it gives you extra shiny hair, it clears skin conditions/gets rid of blemishes, and it gives you the ability to fly. Kidding, I made that last one up.

This simple, clean condiment, has so many powerful health benefits that now I’m asking myself why I haven't tried it. I’m currently wondering if it will make me the perfect specimen of human health. What I would give to be unstoppable.

Phoebe Melnick
Apple Cider Vinegar is proving itself to be more than a trend. Just know that if you start your day with a shot of apple cider vinegar, you'll be burping your way through the morning