Now that you're in college and don't have your parents to throw you parties complete with decorations, food, and cake, birthdays are up to your college friends to plan. And what so frequently gets neglected? The birthday cake. Having a good-looking, great-tasting cake can really complete a party and will make your friend feel special, guaranteed.

I've been to dozens of bakeries in DC and these are hands down the six best places to give a birthday party that special touch. These are places where I or my friends have ordered cakes from and have had incredible experiences each time.

Check out these satisfaction-guaranteed places to get a birthday cake in and around DC for any budget, taste, or dietary restriction.

Milk Bar CityCenterDC

A photo posted by milk bar (@milkbarstore) on

This place has super fun and unique cakes like birthday cake, chocolate malt cake, and apple pie cake, among others available by special order. The birthday cake flavor is ideal for a birthday. It is so festive and tastes like heaven. You can also combine multiple flavors with their new "Build Your Own Birthday Cake" feature!

Captain Cookie & the Milk Man

I feel like once you get to college you forget how much you used to love cookie cakes—don't let that happen. These cookie cakes are made in store and topped with delicious colorful icing, just like the ones from your childhood. Chocolate chip is definitely the way to go as it is such a classic.

Whole Foods Market

cake, chocolate, candy, sprinkles, sweet, cookie
Heather Feibleman

Whole Foods has a cute little bakery section that often gets passed over because there is so much else going on at the store. They have all the classics, like red velvet, carrot cake, chocolate cake, and seasonal options for a reasonable price and it's right on campus. 

Sticky Fingers Sweets & Eats

This is the go-to place for vegan desserts that your friends wouldn't even know are vegan! This bakery won Cupcake Wars so they have Food Network's seal of approval, and with fun flavors like tiramisu, raspberry, and Boston creme, it can't be beat. The tiramisu cake is an incredible vegan version of the Italian classic.

Rise Bakery

A photo posted by Rise Bakery (@risebakerygf) on

Rise Bakery offers gluten-free (and vegan) options like red velvet, flourless chocolate cake, and carrot cake. They also have a lot of other cool items like pastries, bagels, and breads for all your gluten-free needs.

Baked & Wired

This cupcake shop is a DC favorite and is definitely a pricier option. Any of their cupcake flavors (with the exception of Texas Sheet Cake) can be made into a cake for your favorite Baked and Wired fanatic.

If you're feeling ambitious, forget about ordering a cake and try making this rainbow layer cake yourself.