It's beyond important to do your part and donate to food banks. Food banks help those in need and every single donation counts. One in seven Americans visited a food bank in 2013. 

Oftentimes the cupboards get too full and rather than throwing out unused food, my family donates it to a local food bank. While the intention to donate to a food bank is great, a lot of the time, the donated food is sometimes not needed or used. Make a difference in your community and donate the foods people really need.

1. Protein

Things like peanut butter, canned tuna fish, beans and other non-perishable proteins are building blocks for healthy meals. Many food banks also receive food surplus commodities from the federal government. This means that food banks receive palates of overproduced products, which ranges from apple juice to rice.

2. Pasta

macaroni, pasta, spaghetti
Alex Frank

Pasta provides large and filling servings and also helps to build healthy meals. Pasta is an inexpensive meal builder that many people can donate. Props to those who donate whole grain pasta.

3. Rice

risotto, cereal, rice

Preferably brown rice or quinoa, rice is another staple of healthy meals that also serves a lot. Rice is versatile and when made in large amounts has the potential to make a variety of meals.

4. Frozen meat

meat, barbecue, pork, chicken
Christin Urso

Do your research before donating to your local food bank. Larger facilities have freezers and are capable of storing frozen meat, but some smaller food banks do not.

5. Oats and cereal

Rolled oats, grain, handful of oats, handful, hands, barley, oatmeal, oat, pasture, corn, wheat, cereal

Oatmeal is an easy, nutritional breakfast. It also doesn't require any other ingredients other than water. It's also a great source of protein and fiber. If you're going to donate cereal, make sure it's low sugar. 

6. Canned fruits and vegetables

Fruit, red berry, red fruit, sweet, berry, strawberry
Amelia Hitchens

While the preference is fresh or frozen produce, canned fruits and vegetables are a viable option. Many of these canned commodities, especially fruit, are packed in a sugar-filled syrup. The preference would be to get fruits packed in their own juice, to reduce the amount of sugar.

7. Soup

spoon, bisque, butternut squash soup, soup, cream, parsley, vegetable, bread
Julia Gilman

Make sure you donate low-sodium soup. Soup is a healthy and filling meal alternative that's inexpensive and easy to store.

8. Popcorn kernels

rice, popcorn, corn, wheat, cereal
Sara Carte

Popcorn kernels make popcorn, obviously. Popcorn is a healthy snack (as long as you don't add a lot of butter and salt) that also produces large servings.

9. Honey

honey dipper, honey, sweet
Sam Jesner

Honey is often a good substitute for sugar and other sweeteners. Honey also lasts a while so multiple trips for honey aren't necessary.

10. Olive oil

rosemary, oil, tea, herb, olive oil
Jessica Kelly

Olive oil and other oils are essential for healthy cooking. Olive oil is a healthier alternative for mono-saturated fats. 

Access to healthy food shouldn't be a privilege, it should be a right guaranteed to all. Next time, ditch cleaning out your pantry and instead donate the foods that food banks really need. Remember to look at the nutrition label and remember that someone else is relying on that item.