It’s 2 pm. You have a ten-minute break to grab a Kind bar and make it to your next class. The only beverage options in front of you are either diet soda or coffee. You feel confident in your diet soda choice… well, not anymore.

diet coke

Gif courtesy of Giphy.com

Turns out that diet soda is an even worse idea than you think.

Just because the word “diet” is in the product’s name doesn’t mean it is good for you – advertisers lie. Yep, I said it. Mind blown right?

diet coke

Photo from cincovidas.com

Even worse, a recent study carried out by the Karolinska Institute, a medical university in Sweden, found that drinking diet soda twice a day increases your risk of heart attack and stroke by 23%.

The study looked at over 42,000 men over the course of 12 years. It turns out drinking your diet soda instead of a regular one has just as many health risks, if not more. 509 people who took part in the study died of heart failure.

diet coke

Photo courtesy of myhousecallmd.com

Now let’s talk nutrition — diet sodas replace sugar with other artificial sweeteners. Businessmen market these drinks as the healthier alternative to regular soft drinks. Some alternative sweeteners include aspartame, cyclamate, saccharin, acesulfame-k or sucralose to name a few.

Take a minute and think… Have you ever seen someone who switches from coke to diet coke lose weight or become healthier from this change alone? Probably not. Just look at those names — I can’t say that they sound appetizing.

diet coke

Besides heart failure diet soda has been linked to other issues including addiction, diabetes and even weight gain. Yes, your diet soda can potentially make you gain weight. Looks like we’ll be needing a new mixer for the latest 5 O’Clock Friday the Kalimotxo.