Toblerone is the beloved Swiss chocolate brand that we can't get enough of. The chocolate bar is so precious that it was a top trending topic during the election. It rocked a lot of people's world when Mondelez International Inc. made the decision — in the U.K. — to lengthen the gaps between the chocolate peaks and reduce its weight by 10%. That announcement was a major slap in the face during an already turbulent time. Toblerone is a cleverly built chocolate bar. We put together 9 things you might not have known about the brand. 

1. Its Name is a Play on Words

The chocolate was invented by Theodor Tobler. Toblerone comes from his surname, plus 'torrone' - an Italian word for a type of nougat. 

2. It's 108 Years Old

Theodor Tobler and his wife created this world-renowned chocolate in 1908. Chocolate making was in Tobler's family, as his father owned a confectionary shop in the late 1800s

3. You've Been Eating It Wrong

In 2014, a video went viral that proved the correct way to break off a piece of Toblerone chocolate. Mind blown.

4. It's the First Chocolate Bar to Debut With a Filling

And after that, brands such as Almond Joy, Mounds, and Three Musketeers followed suit. What a trend setter

5. We Consume 62,000 Kilometers of Toblerone Each Year

chocolate, milk, milk chocolate, candy, sweet, chocolate bar
Amanda Evertz

Major fun fact: if you laid out all of the Toblerone chocolate bars that were sold each year — it would be 62,000 kilometers long. That's longer than the circumference of Earth. 

6. Its Shape Comes From...

chocolate, milk, candy, milk chocolate, sweet, fudge
Photo by Lucia Perasso

Dancers. It's commonly thought that the shape of Toblerone represents the mountains of Switzerland. But the shape is actually meant to represent dancers the Folies Bergères — a cabaret music hall in Paris. The dancers form a pyramid at the end of the show, hence the triangular shape of the candy.

7. There's a Hidden Message in Its Packaging

You know the mountain on the packaging of a Toblerone box? Look more closely. Theres an outline of a bear within the mountain.

8. It comes in 10 sizes

From fun size, to life size, Toblerone comes in 10 sizes and weights. It's tallest candy bar for sale is one meter in length.

9. There have been 11 different varieties of Toblerone

The candy bar has played around with different flavors in its 108 year existence. Flavors such as fruit and nut, honeycomb, and salted almond have all been tested.