As an ex-Chicagoan (ex because I recently made the move to Georgia for various reasons, bankruptcy in Illinois being just one among them) I know the key to anyone’s heart is through a steaming deep dish pizza. The saucy, cheesy goodness is near heavenly after a long day of work and perfect in times of celebration.

But when every father’s day, mother’s day, birthday, and made-up occasion of “kids’ day” is spent at Lou Malnati’s, one tires of it pretty quickly. But I seem to be the only one in my family that feels this way, since we still go there every other week. I get it. It’s satisfying to let your teeth sink into a thick crust of pizza, but I have some issues with deep dish. And getting “lost in the sauce” is the least of my worries.

1. We’re not gettin’ any younger… or thinner

Deep Dish Pizza

GIF courtesy of tumblr.com

Hard to believe, but it’s true. As we age, our metabolism slows down, so deep dish pizza is not the best choice to stay healthy. A slice of Domino’s America’s Favorite (pepperoni, mushroom and sausage) deep dish is 400 calories. The same toppings but with thin crust is 280 calories. Am I right, or am I right?

2. Cheese = fat

Deep Dish Pizza

Photo courtesy of @pizzamantosa on Instagram

As college kids, pizza is a regular part of our diet, but there are ways to make a better pizza. Instead of gorging on the many layers of cheese on a deep dish pizza, opt for a request of light cheese. It can save you from future heart problems and if you’re gonna eat pizza, why not at least try to make it a little healthy?

3. Eating when you’re full is bad, really bad

Deep Dish Pizza

You know that feeling when you eat too much and feel ready to explode? Unfortunately, there is a tendency to overeat when deep dish is on the table. This also happens with juicy burgers, hot and fried Thai food, and deliciously fresh donuts; just because it looks good doesn’t mean you need to eat it.

4. Thin crust pizza actually has benefits

Deep Dish Pizza

Photo courtesy of memegenarator.net

True Italian made pizza has about 50 percent the amount of calories found in a normal American made pie. The key to thin crust pizza is the sauce because tomato sauce is rich in lycopene. Since the ratio of crust to sauce is more equal in thin, it is healthier than thick.

5. There are alternative options out there

Deep Dish Pizza

GIF courtesy of tumblr.com

Seriously, it’s not just ordering a salad. Here’s a real challenge: try these bite-sized zucchini pizzas. Zucchini, ugh I know, but don’t knock it ‘till you try it. Deep dish isn’t for me, but it will always be #1 in the hearts of my family, so the decision is up to you. Happy pizza eating.