There is no purer combination than that of cheese, sauce, and bread. Thinking back to some of your first birthday parties, paired up with those little ice cream cups was probably heaps of pizza. It’s a staple dish that has followed us all to college as one of our go-to drunk munchies. However, the pizzas that have made this list are definitely a far cry from your local Pizza Hut or Dominos (s/o to Gumby’s in Tallahassee). When you’re ready to take your relationship with pizza to the next level, check out these incredible pies.
1. White Clam Pie – Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napolentana; New Haven, CT
I would never have thought to put any kind of seafood on top of pizza besides anchovies, but Pepe’s has landed a winner by making clams the star of the show on this pizza pie.
The goods: clams, grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, olive oil, garlic and oregano.
2. Italian Sausage Pan Pizza – Pequod’s Pizza; Chicago, IL
Did you really go to Chicago if you didn’t eat a deep dish pizza? #picsoritdidnthappen
The goods: deep dish pizza with sausage and pepperoni.
3. Artichoke Slice – Artichoke Basille; New York, NY
This pizza is basically spinach artichoke dip on crust. Love the concept.
The goods: artichoke hearts, spinach, cream sauce, mozzarella and Pecorino Romano.
4. Cheese Pie – Lorenzo’s and Sons; Philadelphia, PA
Don’t let people give you hate for not wanting toppings on your pizza. You don’t need that kind of negativity in your life.
The goods: cheese, cheese and more cheese.
5. Pepperoni and Mushroom – Home Slice Pizza; Austin, TX
This pizza is more attractive than all of the people in my classe .
The goods: pepperoni and mushroom.
6. Korean BBQ – Pizzeria Lola; Minneapolis, MN
Short ribs on pizza is the kind of innovation I admire.
The goods: grass-run farm beef short ribs, mozzarella, scallions, arugula, sesame and soy-chile vinaigrette.
7. Margherita – Sotto; Los Angeles, CA
You can never go wrong with a Margarita pizza.
The goods: tomato, mozzarella and basil.
8. Calabrese – Pizza Domencia; New Orleans, LA
NOLA has done it again.
The goods: tomato, spicy salami, mozzarella, capers and olives.
9. Mozzarella, Sausage, Garlic – Santarpio’s; Boston, MA
Fun fact: This is one of Usher’s favorite pizza joints. #heydaddy
The goods: mozzarella, sausage and garlic.
10. Chicago Classic – Lou Malnati’s Pizzeria; Chicago, IL
Just when you thought deep dish couldn’t get any more appealing, they make the crust with butter. *eyes widen*
The goods: deep dish with sausage, crust made with butter and mozzarella.
11. Cheese – Patsy’s Pizzeria; New York, NY
So down to eat this entire pie by myself.
The goods: all the cheese.
12. Tomato Pie – Sally’s Apizza; New Haven, CN
No cheese may sound odd, but this pizza is coveted like no other.
The goods: tomato sauce and no cheese.
13. Milano – Metro Pizza; Las Vegas, NV
If Young Metro don’t trust you…s/o to this pizzeria for having a socially trending name along with a fire white pizza.
The goods: no sauce, mozzarella, ricotta, pecorino romano, garlic, olive oil and basil.
14. Tonno – Pizzeria Vetri; Philadelphia, PA
You’ll probably have terrible breath after a slice of this but it’ll be so worth it.
The goods: Sicilian tuna, onion, mozzarella, tomato sauce and peperoncino.
15. Pizza Man Special – Pizza Man; Milwaukee, WI
Who is Uncle Vinny and what’s so special about his sausage?
The goods: mozzarella, Uncle Vinny’s sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms, onion, green peppers and black olive.
16. Ernesto – Ernesto’s Boston; Boston, MA
Those cheese bubbles are just begging to be popped.
The goods: white pizza, fresh chicken, broccoli and mushrooms.
17. Margherita – Pizza Rock; Las Vegas, NV
Can we just take a nap on all those soft pillows of mozzarella?
The goods: dough mixed by hand using San Felice ﬂour then proofed in Napolietana wood boxes, San Marzano tomatoes D.O.P., sea salt, mozzarella ﬁor di latte, fresh basil and extra-virgin olive oil.
18. Plain Pie – Ernie’s Pizzeria; New Haven, CT
Cheese grease is the best kind of grease.
The goods: strictly mozzarella.
19. Clam and Bacon – Area 4; Cambridge, MA
There go those clams again, this time in sauce form. Not even mad about it because that is one pretty pie.
The goods: clam sauce, bacon, Pecorino, hot pepper and parsley.
20. The Delmar – Pi; St. Louis, MO
Actual perfection in a pizza.
The goods: deep-dish with mozzarella, Cheddar, barbecue sauce, chicken, red and green peppers, red onion and fresh cilantro.
21. Parma – Osteria; Philadelphia, PA
Yas, come through prosciutto.
The goods: mozzarella, fontina, arugula and prosciutto di Parma.
22. Heirloom Pie – Double Mountain Brewery; Hood River, OR
A pesto base instead of a tomato sauce one is my aesthetic.
The goods: white pie with house-made pesto, whole-milk mozzarella, fontal, pecorino romano, and fresh, organic heirloom tomatoes.
23. The Prewitt – Hog & Hominy; Memphis, TN
Breakfast and brunch connoisseurs unite.
The goods: fontina, tomato sauce, boudin and scrambled eggs.
24. Mashed Potato and Bacon – Bru Room at BAR; New Haven, CN
Mashed potato and bacon on a pizza…that is all.
The goods: mashed potato and bacon.
25. Bottarga – Pizzeria Paradiso; Washington, D.C.
Yolk porn and pizza all in one dish. This pie is pretty much begging to be Instagrammed.
The goods: Paradiso tomato, minced garlic, parsley, Parmigiano-Reggiano, egg and bottarga.