Contrary to popular belief, the notorious Starbucks' logo is not any old mermaid and the logo we know all too well is not the original. I'm sorry to turn your world upside-down, but the apparently well-known green and white logo is a Greek creature called the two-tailed Siren. It's meant to be as seductive as the coffee, but the logo itself has actually become more conservative. 

tea, beer, coffee, cake
Alex Frank

I'm sure you could name every seasonal drink on the Starbucks menu, but do you have any idea was the OG logo looked like? Terry Heckler, the designer of the Starbucks logo, searched through old marine books until he came across a picture of a Siren. He was supposedly captivated by its allure and felt that Starbucks coffee had a similar charm as the Siren. So boom, he created the tits out, opened leg "mermaid." 

In Greek literature, Sirens symbolize temptation and are seductresses to anyone who passes by them. I guess this makes sense because really who can resist a venti pumpkin spice latte or a caramel macchiato? Starbucks is a magnet to every coffee lover. 

Less than 10 years after the grand opening, the company had to change the logo because of its provocativeness. The logo was huge on the side of delivery trucks, and so were the mermaids boobs. I guess I can see how it may be uncomfortable to look out your car window and stare right into a big rack. 

on

Luckily for the multibillionaire company, changing the logo did not mean the coffee couldn't still seduce everyone around the world. People spend absurd amounts of money on one cup of coffee at Starbucks, and I'm guilty as charged of this too. The enticing logo is so perfectly fitting for such an irresistible coffee company.