Titled “A Singaporean Thanksgiving”, this food event hosted by the NYU Singapore Student Association (SSA) was anything but a traditional thanksgiving gathering. The event featured (free) Singaporean food – dishes influenced by the cuisines of the diverse mix of races living in the region.

Singaporean Thanksgiving

Photo by Delissa Handoko

The dishes available included Nasi Lemak, beef rendang and curry chicken. Free bubble tea from Kungfu tea was also given out to all attendees who showed up in the dresscode – an ugly Christmas sweater.

Singaporean Thanksgiving

Photo by Delissa Handoko

Singaporean Thanksgiving

Photo by Delissa Handoko

Nasi Lemak is a Malay rice dish with fragrant coconut and pandan rice served alongside small fried anchovies (ikan bilis), sliced cucumbers, roasted peanuts, hard-boiled egg and other accompaniments like fried chicken. The hot sauce that comes with this dish, sambal, is both spicy and sweet and so good that you would even want to eat it on its own!

Singaporean Thanksgiving

Photo by Delissa Handoko

Beef rendang originated from Indonesia but is now commonly found in many Southeast Asian countries. It is rich in spices and features tender beef pieces that are infused with the taste of coconut milk and spices after hours of broiling.

Singaporean Thanksgiving

Photo by Delissa Handoko

The Singaporean style of curry chicken can be noted as distinctly different from other types of curry, like Indian or Japanese curry that are more commonly found in New York restaurant. Cooked with coconut milk, this spicy dish is commonly broiled for hours with potatoes and chicken pieces, and the end result is a fragrant and flavorful broth that is slightly spicy and oh-so-addictive.

Singaporean Thanksgiving

Photo by Delissa Handoko

The NYU SSA hosts several events each semester and free food is usually provided during the events. If you are interested in trying out something new, why not join the SSA’s listserv to find out more about future events!

Singaporean Thanksgiving

Photo by Delissa Handoko

Singaporean Thanksgiving

Photo by Delissa Handoko