On Monday, May 1, the biggest names in pop culture will descend on Manhattan’s Metropolitan Museum of Art for fashion’s most extravagant affair: The Met Gala. A combined fundraiser and couture extravaganza, this year’s theme honors the work of elusive designer, the late Karl Lagerfeld.

A renowned name in fashion since the 1950s, Lagerfeld’s extensive resume includes head of design at Chanel, Patou, Chloé, Fendi, as well as hundreds of personal creations. Beyoncé, Julianne Moore, Keira Knightley, Gwyneth Paltrow, Kim Kardashian, Blake Lively, and Lily Rose Depp are all among celebrities to have donned Karl Lagerfeld designs, many of them for the Met Gala in years past.

Not all of us are worthy of an exclusive Anna Wintour invitation to the landmark event, but we can partake in the evening with Met Gala-inspired snacks and cocktails at home. Turn on E! News and prepare a spread Lagerfeld would be proud of for when fashion’s big day arrives. 

SNACKS

Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup Shooters

Meryl Streep and Anne Hathaway deliver masterclass performances in The Devil Wears Prada, a film inspired by Wintour herself and the inner workings of Vogue. After a difficult day catering to the demands of Runway magazine editor-in-chief Miranda Priestly (Streep), up-and-coming writer Andy Sachs (Hathaway) returns home to a grilled cheese expertly-made by her boyfriend Nate. 

Too frustrated by her boss’s antics, Sachs forgoes the delicious sandwich, prompting Nate to remark, “That’s like $8 of Jarlsberg in there.” Though the aspiring chef buys his special cheese at SoHo grocery store Dean & DeLuca, any type of melting cheese will do. Cut the prepared sandwiches into lengthwise strips and serve with shots of Tomato Basil soup.

Mini Chicken Pot Pie

In a TikTok posted by Anna Wintour’s biographer Amy Odell, the writer shared the inside scoop on what the Vogue editor eats in a day. Though most of her food is provided by a private chef, one of Wintour’s go-to dishes to serve guests is a Chicken Pot Pie. Line puff pastry in a muffin tin and mix together a meat-and-veggie filling to make a miniaturized version of Wintour’s entertaining show-stopper. 

Caprese Salad Bites

Also on Wintour’s daily menu: steak with caprese salad on the side, no tomatoes. While mozzarella and basil can not be considered much of a salad, the original version of the Italian staple is definitely a Met-worthy classic. Stack tomatoes, mini mozzarella balls, leaves of basil and tortellini — Odell claims Wintour is not one to pass on pasta — on toothpicks and drizzle with in balsamic vinegar.

Soft Pretzels

The Metropolitan Museum of Art is one of New York City’s most coveted destinations. Millions ascend the stone steps each year to view the extensive collection, and plenty camp outside on the first Monday in May to catch a glimpse of their favorite celebrity. Those waiting to see Karl Lagerfeld looks can indulge in a soft pretzel and mustard from countless snack carts lining 5th Avenue, a twisted treat easily replicated at home with a few simple ingredients. Rise and shape the dough as you wait for attendees to arrive. 

DRINKS

Rum and Coke

Lagerfeld was a massive fan of Diet Coke. In his book The Karl Lagerfeld Diet chronicling his near 90-pound weight loss and French-inspired wellness plan, the Chanel head designer admitted to drinking up to 10 Diet Cokes a day. Honor Lagerfeld’s beverage obsession with a simple Rum and Coke combo topped with lime, but keep intake well under 10 glasses. 

Pimm’s Cup

Aside from her frigid facial expression and enormous sunglasses, Anna Wintour is known to be an avid tennis player. The Vogue icon routinely hits the court at 5:30 am to practice her volleys and build up a sweat. Given her love of the game, it is no surprise 20-time Grand Slam winner Roger Federer was handpicked to co-chair fashion’s biggest night.

Channel the pair’s killer backhands with a Pimm’s Cup — Wimbleton’s most famous cocktail. The summery sip features strawberry, cucumber, mint, orange, and lemonade with a splash of British liqueur, Pimm's No.1.

Choupette Spritz

There is no one Lagerfeld loved more in this world than his cat Choupette. When not in Lagerfeld’s arms, the white Siamese could be found jetting around the world to exclusive runways, sitting for photoshoots, or being showered in gifts and champagne by her beloved owner. A celebrity in her own right, more than 220,000 followers keep up with the feline’s pampered upbringing via her Instagram @choupettesdiary. Lagerfeld insisted on only the best for his precious pet, so it is only fitting we do the same. Pop the bubbly and add your favorite mixer to make a cocktail up to Choupette’s high standards.

Cosmopolitan

Sex and the City” fans will agree, nothing screams New York like a Cosmopolitan. Simple, sweet, and citrusy, this cranberry juice concoction pairs exactly with the exquisite fashion vibes Karl Lagerfeld crafted. Garnish with an orange twist and keep a track of Carrie Bradshaw-approved outfits as you knock back the fictional fashionista’s essential pink drink. 

Latte Martini

Between juggling the world’s leading fashion magazine and planning an enormous gala, if anyone needs caffeine, it is Anna Wintour. A proclaimed Starbucks addict, Odell said the ever-busy Brit frequently sends her assistants an email simply requesting another extra hot latte. Opt for whole milk like Wintour or your favorite plant-based alternative to create a Latte Martini with cream or coffee liqueur and vodka. Sprinkle with coffee grounds or chocolate covered coffee beans for optimal wow factor.