A few months ago, I stumbled across this Thrillist article where the author melted a pint of Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough and proceeded to bake the leftover cookie dough. Although I was slightly offended that someone dare to mess with ice cream (a waste, right?) I was intrigued. 

Because my brain solely operates under the assumption that anything can be made into a Spoon article, I immediately thought, "I HAVE TO DO THIS WITH HALO TOP!" On an unrelated note, Halo Top had just sent me a huge shipment of ice cream (I'm a huge fan), so I was fully stocked. I figured, why not give it a go?

tea, beer, water, alcohol
Meredith Davin

Begrudgingly, I put a pint of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough in the fridge to let it melt overnight (R.I.P. the innocent ice cream). The next morning, I dumped the whole thing into a strainer. Using a wooden spoon, I carefully strained out the cookie dough. And yes, I did have a couple bites of the melted ice cream.

tea, milk, coffee, cream, dairy product
Meredith Davin

Behold, the teeny-tiny ball of cookie dough within each pint of chocolate chip cookie dough Halo Top. I'm not going to lie, I was pretty confused. I could've sworn there was more in the last pint I ate. I patted off the mini dough ball and thought through my options—do I bake it or give up?

Meredith Davin

Committed to the cause–mostly because my oven was already  preheated–I decided to stick the dough ball in the oven and see what happened. Four minutes later, I pulled out the melted mess and let it cool. Was it a cookie? Was it a candy? I'm really not sure. Check out the empty pint as a size reference. 

beer, cheese, cake
Meredith Davin

On the pint, the the cookie dough ingredients list flour, sugar, butter, soybean oil, and chocolate chips. Those all sound like normal cookie ingredients. Unfortunately, this turned out to be the saddest chocolate chip cookie I'd ever eaten in my life. Aside from its brittle bite, it also tasted like Captain Crunch cereal. Don't ask me why!

sweet
Meredith Davin

Moral of the story? LEAVE YOUR ICE CREAM ALONE. I will never be able to get back this pint and its ghost will haunt me forever. Instead, go enjoy a pint of Halo Top or bake your own chocolate chip cookies