There are so many different health trends these days, it's kind of overwhelming. But what if I told you adding more of certain foods could have a big impact on your health? That’s right, it’s a known fact that fermented foods are good for your health. They do everything from provide beneficial bacteria to improve gut health and digestion. You might be confused about what exactly fermented foods are, so let me give you the run down. 

What are fermented foods? 

sweet, milk, cream, chocolate
Taylor Treadway

Long story short, fermented foods go through the process of lactofermentation. That's kind of a confusing word, but it means that bacteria from the food is used to convert sugars or starches to acid, gas or alcohol. Omega-3 fatty acids, b-vitamins and many probiotics are preserved in the food during this process. 

Foods that are fermented contain a bunch of good bacteria, which can help balance any bad bacteria you might have in your digestive system. This good bacteria is found in the form of probiotics, which are good for almost everything. 

Why are these foods so important? 

sweet, dairy product
Lauryn Lahr

There are so many different ways for fermented foods to impact your health. Not only do they provide probiotics and improve your digestive system, but they also help you absorb other foods better. You'll be getting more nutrients from your foods because your gut is healthy and ready to absorb it all. 

The probiotics in fermented foods help increase your immune system. You might not think about this so much, but it could help fight off illness (especially if you're getting sick all the time). These probiotics help keep your gut strong, which work hard to keep your immune system fighting off all the unwanted infections. 

What foods can I eat that are fermented? 

bread, chicken
Alex Frank

This might come as a surprise to you, but you might already be including some fermented foods in your diet without even realizing it. Foods such as yogurt, miso, sourdough bread, sauerkraut, kefir and even beer go through the fermentation process.

You might not have heard of this one before, but Kombucha is becoming a pretty popular fermented drink made with tea and a bacteria and yeast culture. It has a pretty sour taste and smells kind of funky, but if you can get past that it's filled with beneficial probiotics. Kombucha comes in different flavors, so keep trying them until you find one you like. 

tea
Taylor Lashley

Fermented foods are more common than you might've thought, so adding them into your diet won't be that challenging. You can even make foods that include them so you can have a little variety. But with all the health benefits fermented foods offer, it'd be crazy to leave them out.