Chicago is one of the greatest food cities in America (think Chicago-style hot dogs and Garrett's popcorn). Perhaps the most famous Chicago cuisine is deep dish pizza. This dish has a massive following, with people passionately debating about which chain is the best: Giordano's vs. Lou Malnati's.

Trust me, this Giordano's vs. Lou Malnati's debate is widespread and pretty intense. Although both chains prove Windy City classics, I wanted to finally put the Giordano's vs. Lou Malnati's debate to rest and determine which is best. 

A Case for Giordano's

Acclaimed as "Chicago's Famous Stuffed Deep Dish Pizza," Giordano's is loved by many. It was the first place teachers and relatives alike suggested I eat at when I first visited my campus in Illinois. Naturally, I needed to try it out.

If you've ever tasted a Giordano's pizza, you'll realize why it collected so many awards. This restaurant is unique because it serves a stuffed deep dish pizza, meaning that there's an additional layer of dough separating the cheese from the rest of the toppings. Cheese lovers, Giordano's is probably for you then. The ratio between cheese, sauce and crust (which, by the way, was super flaky like a croissant) is perfection.

#SpoonTip: Don't live in the Chicagoland area? No worries, you can always order one (or six) online

A Case for Lou Malnati's

Prior to writing this article, I never grasped the hype that surrounded Lou Malnati's. But several weeks ago, I bit into a slice for the very first time, and my life was forever changed.

The sauce is much fresher and tarter than Giordano's. Though there isn't as much cheese as Giordano's, the crust certainly makes up for it. The crust is a secret family recipe that is unlike any other. It's flaky on the outside, yet soft near the middle. It's perfectly golden and divine in every way possible.

After stuffing your face with pizza, and if your stomach still has room for more, there's the Chocolate Chip Pizza on the dessert menu. Served in a deep dish pan, and topped with vanilla ice cream, this dessert is a cookie- and pizza-lover's dream.

The Final Verdict

This was a close, cheesy race. Both places hold a special place in my heart. However, if I need to pick a favorite (drumroll, please), it would have to be Lou Malnati's. 

Personally, I believe the cheese is the most important part of a pizza. But, I cannot ignore the fact that, holistically, Lou Malnati's is better. Its pizza tastes more homemade, and more authentic. It's the deep dish pizza you must order to get a real taste of the Windy City. In the Giordano's vs. Lou Malnati's fight, Lou Malnati's comes out on top. 

Regardless of my opinion, both chains make a mean deep dish pizza. So go ahead and order yourself some Giordano's or Lou Malnati's for a pie that'll blow your tastebuds away. Just make sure you accidentally don't put pineapples on your pizza.