The common saying goes "An apple a day keeps the doctor away," but what about the other fruits like oranges? Sure, it's a known fact that the fiber helps "move things along" but the real question should be: do oranges make you poop?

grapefruit, lemon, tangerine, sweet, citrus, juice
Marlee Goldman

A study done in 2008 found that when constipated rats were fed naringenin, which is a flavonoid (a common compound found in human diet and plants), naringenin helped restore normal fecal output as well as restored water content

Why all this talk about rats and poop? Because naringenin (along with fiber) is found in oranges and acts like a laxative that can help treat constipation. But wait, will eating too many oranges lead to an over-treatment for constipation? Yes! Eating more oranges than normal can actually lead to an "overload" (pun intended) of naringenin and fiber, which can ultimately lead to abdominal cramps and even diarrhea.

snack, Fruit, citrus, peeling orange, orange peel, Peel, peeling, orange

So dodo oranges make you poop? Yes. However, it is suggested that eating no more than two servings of oranges per day is enough fiber and naringenin to stimulate the flow. And when you're done eating the orange? Maybe eat the peel as well!