Hiking is my favorite things to do in the entire world. Not only do I achieve a natural high from the grueling workout it can be, but I also love being outdoors and exploring the wilderness. This summer, I was lucky enough to go on a trip to Bar Harbour, Maine, where we hiked the heck out of Acadia National Park's trails. 

Throughout the week, my family and I learned of the best foods to fuel anyone when hiking. The compiled list below includes the best foods to bring on a hike. 

1. Energy Bars

cake, goody, sweet, chocolate, candy
Athena Abdien

Whether starting or ending a hike, energy bars are always a good go-to. I personally love Cliff Bars and Think Thin Bars, but any energy bar that contains readable ingredients that will keep you satisfied is a good choice.

2. Sandwiches 

salad, toast, cheese, ham, meat, tomato, bread, lettuce, sandwich
Josh Renaud

In the midst of thinking that death was upon us from the insanely challenging switchbacks, the idea of a nice and delicious sub at the end of the trail was what got all of us through. Sandwiches are a great post-hike meal. It replenishes the body while filling you up with fuel for the trip down. 

3. Nut Butter

These packets of heaven are the perfect snack for a hike. Light as a feather, Justin's Nut Butters can fit into any backpack easily. High in protein, low in saturated fat, and containing the right amount of carbohydrates, I can literally live on these. 

4. Dried Fruits

cranberry, sweet, berry
Kristen Mirhan

It is extremely important to replenish potassium levels while on a hike. Eating dried fruits like bananas and dates are the perfect way to regulate the fluid balance in the body. Not only do dried apple, mango, and pineapple taste sweet and tangy, but they also have a plethora of health benefits. 

5. Whole Grain Pita Bread

chocolate, peanut butter, butter, banana
Irene Limb

Whole grain pita bread is a great source of fiber, and can keep you satiated for a while. It can be paired with different foods. If craving something sweet, some peanut butter, banana, and honey can do the trick. On the other hand, a savory meal can consist of some veggies and hummus.

At the end of the day, these foods are only a few of the tons of options to bring on a hike. The most important thing to remember is that hydration is key, and to always have food on the ready. You never know when you'll need to quickly grab something out of your bag.