Whether you’re lactose-intolerant, don’t like milk or simply don’t get enough calcium into your diet, there’s plenty of other options that are sure to surprise you. Milk has and probably will always be the front runner of calcium campaigns, but I’m here to challenge that fact.

Let’s take a look, shall we?

calcium

Broccoli

calcium

Photo by Katherine Baker

Surprise, surprise. Thank your mom for forcing you to eat your vegetables because the food you’ve always hated as a child packs a punch in nutrition. It also has twice the amount of Vitamin C of an orange.

Calcium content: 86 mg in 2 cups raw

White Beans

calcium

Photo courtesy of @pbsfood on Instagram

These legumes are a great source of tons of vitamins and minerals, including high quantities of iron and protein. You can add them to pasta, veggies or have fun and make your own soup.

Calcium content: 191 mg in 1 cup canned

Sardines

calcium

Photo courtesy of seriouseats.com

Yes, I know. Anchovies are not the most appetizing thing in the world, but they are one of the healthiest. Along with calcium, they have a ton of Omega 3s and Vitamin D.

Calcium content: 321 mg in 7 fillets

Kale

calcium

Photo by Katherine Baker

This superfood is the perfect base for any salad and has Vitamins C, A and K. Eat it raw (preferably) or roast it in the oven with salt, pepper and olive oil.

Calcium content: 188 mg in 2 cups raw, chopped

Almonds

calcium

Photo by Torey Walsh

You’d be nuts to not have these bite sized beauties on hand. They have so much going for them nutrition-wise and keep you fuller longer. What’s not to love?

Calcium content: 71 mg for 1/4 cup dry roasted

Edamame

calcium

Photo by Elyse Belarge

These are by far one of the easiest, most delicious snacks I can think of. Just add a little bit of salt and you’re good to go. It’s also chock full of protein, fiber and amino acids. You’re welcome.

Calcium content: 98 mg for 1 cup cooked

Tofu

calcium

Photo by Katherine Baker

This dried soybean concoction is grounded up and boiled to make the perfect source of vitamins and minerals. What’s best about tofu is that it takes on the flavors of anything you want. So go ahead and add those veggies or spicy sauces and it’s sure to taste great.

Calcium content: 861 mg in 1/2 cup

Bok Choy

calcium

Photo by Andrew Seah

Bok Choy is definitely one of the more unfamiliar items on this list. This Chinese cabbage is great for stir-fry dishes or just roasted it alongside all your other veggies.

Calcium content: 74 mg in 1 cup

Figs

calcium

Photo by Julia Maguire

Although figs may look funny on the outside, when you bite into one it’s like a sweet and sticky dessert. You can eat them whole (dried) or eat them on goat cheese and fig crostini. Fancy.

Calcium content: 107 mg in 8 whole dried figs