Staying on top of your health can be more challenging in the winter months. Cold, dry air wreaks havoc on skin and hair, and seasonal depression comes with its own complications. In general, it's very important to stay hydrated, but that can be more difficult in the winter. Here are some tips to help keep you hydrated during colder weather.

1. Eat Water-Rich Foods

vegetable, pasture, sweet
Maria Arias

Obviously, drinking water isn't the only way to hydrate. Plenty of foods, especially fruits and vegetables, are mostly water. Picking a snack like grapes or celery with peanut butter can leave you more hydrated during the day.

2. Limit Your Caffeine Intake

coffee, espresso, chocolate, tea, milk, cappuccino, mocha

Caffeine is a diuretic, which means that it can make you pee more, and thus is dehydrating. Cutting back on caffeinated drinks (especially in the afternoon and evening) can help your body retain more water this winter. However, drinking warm fluids will help your body stay warm and hydrated, so a cup of caffeine-free tea in the morning can do you some good, too.

3. Cut Back on Sodium

Yes, salt does make you thirsty, and by that logic, you'd drink more water. However, salt and cold weather have the same effect on your blood vessels: they make them constrict, resulting in a higher blood pressure. Cut back on sodium to save your body some stress this holiday season.

4. Drink Hot Chocolate

coffee, espresso, tea, milk, cappuccino, chocolate
Emma Danbury

Surprisingly, this tip is actually very relevant to you student-athletes and fitness junkies. It's been said that chocolate milk has the right ratio of carbs to protein for post-workout recovery, so why not recover and rehydrate with a cup of hot cocoa? If you need some inspiration, I recommend this boozy hot chocolate recipe for those special evenings by the fireplace.

5. Add Flavor to Your Water

water, fish
Christin Urso
Drinking plain ol' water can seem bland and boring. One way to effectively hydrate is to add flavor to your water, like lemon juice or other fruit infusions. Another option: switch out tap water for sparkling water or seltzer when you're craving carbonation.

6. Carry Water With You

People forget to drink water sometimes. It's a pretty common excuse to use when hydration gets brought up. I've adopted the habit of carrying a water bottle with me everywhere I go. It's big, it's blue, and it holds over 32 fluid ounces of water. It's a great physical reminder to keep sipping throughout the day.

7. Wear Layers of Clothing

Finally, bundling up in your coziest sweaters can keep you hydrated. Cold, dry air saps water from your skin, so providing your body with a barrier to the cold can help you retain more water. Besides, who doesn't want to stay warm in the winter? Cupping your mitten hands around a mug of tea is a perfect Instagram opportunity, never mind a great way to stay hydrated.

Hopefully these tips will help you enjoy a happier, healthier winter. Hydration is just as important this season as gingerbread, eggnog, and red-and-green everything.