With the average temperature in Oxford rounding to about 30°F in the winter months, there hardly ever seems to be an escape from the cold tundra. Everything is pretty much a lost cause when stepping outside feels like a billion little rubber bands are being snapped against your open skin and licking your lips forms icicles on your face.

Research shows that there are certain foods that enhance your mood in the same way as widely used prescription mood-stabilizing drugs. So rather than becoming a hermit until the flowers bloom, grab these from the store and keep doin’ you, regardless of the temp on your car thermometer.

1. Dark Chocolate

Foods

Photo by Lauryn Lahr

Dark chocolate has tons of magnesium, which is known for calming muscles and reducing anxiety. This candy also contains a chemical much like serotonin, which helps reduce symptoms of depression. So don’t feel guilty stuffing your face with chocolate this week. It’s healthy, right? Try this recipe to pimp out your dark chocolate.

2. Spinach

Foods

Photo by Neelima Agrawa

This leafy green is packed with large amounts of folic acid, a B-vitamin that has been known to boost our mood. Because spinach is an antioxidant, it works in decreasing the likelihood of low energy and mood swings. Adding this vegetable to your diet is scientifically proven to put you in a better mood, so when walking to the gym doesn’t sound appealing, just add some more spinach to your diet for a healthier meal alternative.

3. Avocado

Foods

Photo by Lauryn Lahr

Avocado has been on the rise recently, but other than the fact that it’s clogging up our Instagram feeds, it also provides us with some unparalleled health and beauty benefits. This green goddess can also help make us look prettier without even trying, as it can enhance our skin, nails, and hair. With large amounts of antioxidants such as Vitamin E and C, carotenoids, and fatty acids, the avocado can protect skin from environmental damage and increase the moisture found in our bodies. It also makes a kickass facial.

4. Berries

Foods

Photo by Lauryn Lahr

Blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries—no matter your preference, they all have the same benefits. Besides the tangy flavor to sweeten any dismal winter day, these fruits contain anthocyanidins and anthocyanins, nutrients that help reduce stress or depression. Try a recipe like this to incorporate as many berries as you want.

So whenever you feel yourself getting down in the dumps because the sun hasn’t come out for days or midterm week is approaching, try to incorporate one (or all if you’re ambitious) of these ingredients into your daily diet. From there, just sit back, relax, and wait for the benefits.

Check out these articles for more ways to stay fresh in these cold winter months: