Ever since I moved to the United States, I've found that people seem to have a misconstrued idea of Irish food. The cuisine is often defined in a very one dimensional way. Irish food is more than soda bread, stew and shepherds/cottage pie. There are tons of Irish chefs out there who have been paving the way for new and exciting ways to cook Irish food. Here are just a few:

1) The Happy Pear 

I found these guys while I was on YouTube and became obsessed. They make great wholesome food that is healthy. Irish food can be on the heavier side and it isn't always the best for your health so I'm happy to see these guys shed a little light to the Irish cuisine. 

2) Kevin Dundon 

I am obsessed with this man's cooking show "Kevin Dundon's Modern Irish Cuisine". He makes great, simple Irish food that everyone loves. If you have the chance to watch his show I'd highly recommend it because he makes the most beautiful dishes that are super easy to follow. 

3) Donal Skehan 

I was scrolling through my instagram feed when I stopped at Donal's pictures. He stays true to the traditional Irish feast but adds his own touches. Just go through his instagram feed and I assure you will be hungry in no time. Also, can we take a moment to appreciate his dog that is frequently featured on his feed? 

4) Darina Allen

Darina is the founder of the Ballymaloe Cookery School in Shanagarry, County Cork. She is arguably the most famous Irish chef in Ireland and that is no surprise to me. She is everything from a chef and a writer to a tv personality. Her cookery school is renowned and is located on an organic farm where chefs are able to work in the garden and the kitchen all at once. 

5) Neven Maguire

Neven is known for his restaurant MacNean House, of which he is the owner and head chef, in Blacklion, County Cavan. He is an avid supporter for eating local and fresh ingredients. Which is something we all should strive for in our daily meals when possible. The MacNean House would be great place to go visit when you're in town. They even have a cookery school and you can book a class in advance.

Ireland is home to great chefs and an increasing innovative food scene. Irish food is the definition of comfort food for me and many others. These chefs are recreating and putting some great spins on what we know to be Irish food. So remember that there is more to Irish food than soda bread. Expand your horizons, check out these amazing chefs and eat some good food along the way.