These snacks are popping up everywhere— and we’re not just talking in those tiny local Asian markets. Some of these delectable Japanese snacks have already become household staples right next to Snickers and Kit-Kats. And, if you haven’t heard of them, then you’re missing out, buddy.

Pocky

japanese

Photo courtesy of Robyn Lee/Flickr.com

I’m pretty sure this is the most well-known out of the bunch. That saves me from having to explain it. Basically, chocolate on a biscuit-stick equals delicious. And, they come in a insane variety of flavours.

Ramune

japanese

Photo courtesy of Nicole Lee/flickr.com

What the heck is rah-moo-neh? It’s a carbonated soft drink—the Japanese version of a soda. What’s so cool about it? Well, first off, it’s sold in a glass bottle, like those old vintage cokes. Secondly, it’s not a plastic or metal cap that keeps the drink carbonated—it’s a marble. And to open the bottle, you have to use the provided “plunger” to release the marble. If that’s not cool, I don’t know what is.

Hello Panda:

japanese

Photo courtesy of JQ/flickr.com

These hollow shortbread biscuits are filled with a variety of flavours, ranging from the ever-popular chocolate to strawberry to matcha (green tea) and more. And on each biscuit, you get a picture of a goofy panda to brighten up your day. It’s literally a little pick-me-up.

Hi-Chew:

japanese

Photo courtesy of chopsticksny.com

A chewy fruit-flavoured candy, its texture is really like no other. It’s not like a gummy bear nor is it like a marshmallow. It’s even chewier than a Starburst. It’s just…you’ve gotta try it for yourself. Just know: it’s super addictive.

Haagen Dazs:

japanese

Photo courtesy of jonellepatrick.me

OK, not Japanese. American, really. I include it in this list because the Japanese Haagen-Dazs makes a lot of cool and strange flavours that never appear anywhere else, much less in the US. Some examples: Sakura, pumpkin, Japonais, tomato-cherry, and carrot-orange. Intrigued yet? I think it’s fair to categorize Japanese Haagen-Dazs as its own thing.

Check out these awesome articles while you’re at it: