Not only does booze add some edge, but spiking your desserts is actually great way to turn up the moisture and sophisticated flavor of your favorite recipes. No matter what your alcohol preference, there is a way to turn that burning kick into an indulgent treat. However, it’s easy to go a little overboard, so here are a few things to keep in mind when baking with booze:

• Start with less than you’d think. Remember that you can always add more, but once that kick goes too far, there’s no turning back.
  • Keep in mind you might be able to get a buzz on with a spiked milkshake, but the alcohol will burn out of the cakes and cupcakes, so they have to actually taste good.
  • Stick to classic pairings known to enhance flavors, like whiskey and chocolate or tequila and lime.
  • If you can stand it, use the nicer bottles for baking and save the cheap stuff for your Friday night.
  • You have a little more liberty with thicker, denser treats, but the light and fruity desserts can’t handle as much alcohol if you want to preserve their natural flavor.

So read on, choose your drink of choice, and make it happen.

Beer

booze

Photo by Judy Holtz

1. Buttermilk and Beer Beignets

booze

Photo courtesy of honeysucklelife.com

Add a little kick to this French favorite with this recipe.

2. Beerimisu

booze

Photo by Tori Baier

Switch out rum for beer in this twist on a classic boozy recipe.

3. Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie Beer Bread

booze

Photo by Maggie Gorman

The name’s a mouthful, but this recipe is super easy and only requires a few ingredients you probably have lying around — along with the leftover cheap beer in your fridge.

4. Chocolate Stout Cupcakes

booze

Photo by Daniel Schuleman

This one’s easy. Just make a chocolate cake box mix and dump some beer in there. Done. In case you still need it, here’s the recipe.

Whiskey

booze

Photo by Christin Urso

1. Banana Bourbon Cupcakes

booze

Photo courtesy of howsweeteats.com

How pretty are these sophisticated bourbon cupcakes?

2. Chocolate Stout Cake with Chocolate Bourbon Frosting

booze

Photo courtesy of @horrigans on flickr.com

This recipe gives classic chocolate cake a double kick of alc with bourbon and stout.

3. Salted Caramel Bourbon Milkshakes

booze

Photo by Andrea Kang

Indulgent and delicious — the alcohol doesn’t burn off with this grown up milkshake. Recipe here.

4. Bourbon Chocolate Chip Blondies

booze

Photo by Alex Tom

Another easy loaf dessert recipe, but with bourbon instead of beer in case whiskey’s more your style.

Tequila

booze

Photo courtesy of ezangler.com

1. Fried Tequila Donut Holes

booze

Photo by Briana Jones

When a lime won’t cut it, treat yourself for getting down your tequila shot with one of these delicious little donuts. Dream come true.

2. Margarita Macarons

booze

Photo courtesy of sprinklesforbreakfast.com

These macarons are filled with tequila lime buttercream, perfect for Cinco de Mayo.

3. Tequila Lime Coconut Bars

booze

Photo by Kelda Baljon

Try this great recipe, or just dump a little tequila in your favorite lemon bar recipe.

Rum

booze

Photo by Julia Murphy

1. Boozy Chocolate Rum Cake

booze

Photo by Hayden Carder

This little spiked chocolate cake is perfect when you really need to indulge. Recipe here.

2. Boozy Brownies with Salted Caramel Rum Sauce

booze

Photo courtesy of tattooedmartha.com

The moister the better with brownies, and this recipe shows rum will do the trick.

3. Brown Butter Rum Cannoli

booze

Photo courtesy of @alexshamis on flickr.com

These boozy cannoli are truly unbeatable.

4. Malibu Rum Cupcakes

booze

Photo by Jessica Lee

These cupcakes will take you straight to the beach. Since Malibu is so sugary (which explains the horrible hangovers), you can turn up the booze and they’ll still taste good.

5. Banana Bread with a Nutella Swirl

booze

Photo by Maia Vernacchia

Ignore the “optional” next to the rum in this delicious banana bread recipe. It’s necessary.

Vodka

booze

Photo by Abigail Wilkins

1. Vodka Blueberry Floats

booze

Photo courtesy of foodiecrush.com

Take mixed drinks to a whole new level with these vodka floats.

2. Birthday Cake Vodka Milkshakes

booze

Photo courtesy of thatssomichelle.com

The vodka might not do much for the flavor but this milkshake is definitely a more delicious way to get a buzz on.

3. Pie Crust

booze

Photo by Paige Delany

Adding vodka to pie crust is actually a classic trick to make it that perfect flaky texture. Invest some time into this recipe next time you decide to whip out a pie.

Wine

booze

Photos by Daniel Schuleman

1. Raspberry and Lime Sangria Popsicles

booze

Photo courtesy of jerryjamesstone.com

These popsicles are the most delicious and refreshing summery treat.

2. Chocolate Merlot Cake

booze

Photo courtesy of hipfoodiemom.com

This chocolate cake is perfect for the wine connoisseur in your life.

3. Red Wine Cupcakes

booze

Photo by Caty Schnack

Pour a few glasses for yourself while you bake these cupcakes and make a night of it.

Champagne

booze

Photo by Tarika Narain

1. Champagne Cupcakes

booze

Photo courtesy of gimmesomeoven.com

These classy champagne cupcakes are perfect for New Years or any other celebration.

2. Chocolate Macarons with Raspberry Champagne Filling

booze

Photo courtesy of thetaylor-house.com

The subtle champagne flavor in the filling enhances the classic chocolate raspberry pair in these macarons.

3. Prosecco Waffles

booze

Photo by Becca Miller

Pair these fancy waffles with a pitcher of mimosas for the perfect boozy brunch.