The first legal drink as a 21-year-old is a once-in-a-lifetime occasion. But when the pressure is on, how do you decide? Before you panic and order a round of shots, check out this list of 21 amazing cocktails. Order any of these for your first drink (and second and third and so on) and you’ll seem wise beyond your years. Know what you want, have an awesome time and prepare for the other tradition: the first post-21 hangover.

Vodka

1. Moscow Mule

cocktails

Photo courtesy of liquor.com

If you order a Moscow mule, make sure it comes in the traditional copper mug for a perfectly chilled cocktail. While there are many variations on the Moscow Mule, my personal favorite is the classic vodka, lime, and ginger beer.

#SpoonTip: Not a vodka fan? You can also try a Kentucky Mule (with bourbon) or a Mayan Mule (with tequila).

2. Lemon Drop

cocktails

Photo courtesy of Waferboard on Flickr

If you usually chase your vodka with lemonade, then try this sweet and tart cocktail. The drink should be shaken and served in a martini glass, adding to the class factor.

3. Harvey Wallbanger

cocktails

Photo by Andrea Leelike

If a screwdriver is your go-to, age it up with some Galliano, a sweet herbal Italian liqueur. Though not as popular as it once was, the Wallbanger is on an upswing with the return of Galliano’s original recipe in 2010.

Tequila

4. Paloma

cocktails

Photo courtesy of noshon.it

While a margarita is never a bad choice, next time you’re craving a refreshing tequila cocktail, try the lesser known Paloma. The drink uses grapefruit soda, typically Squirt or Fresca in the United States. You have to cross the border to try the drink with the traditional soda, Jarritos.

5. Mexican Shandy

cocktails

Photo courtesy of desktopaper.com

If you’re usually a beer drinker but want to change things up, a shandy is perfect for you. For a Mexican Shandy, I recommend a pilsner or Mexican lager. The addition of tequila and lime completes the shandy.

6. Tequila Sunrise

cocktails

Photo courtesy of callmefudge.com

This cocktail is perfect for the visual-obsessed drinkers out there. The three ingredients form a beautiful gradient due to their different densities, just like oil and water (thank you, middle school science).

Rum

7. Dark and Stormy

cocktails

Photo courtesy of kansasphotos on Flickr

The name “Dark ‘N Stormy” is a trademark of Bermuda’s Gosling’s Rum, but you can rock this cocktail with any dark rum. The key to the drink is balancing the proportions of rum and ginger beer.

8. Daiquiri

cocktails

Photo courtesy of Ray Sawhill on Flickr

Don’t break out the blender and ice yet. Instead, try the original, unfrozen Daiquiri. I promise it will still be just as refreshing.

9. Mojito

cocktails

Photo courtesy of Iliyan Yankov

This mint-infused cocktail is great for day-drinking if you want to start your celebrations early. The drink is also the perfect foundation to personalize and make your own with these easy additions.

Whiskey/Bourbon

10. Old Fashioned

cocktails

Photo by Ceci Leng

Old Fashioned definitely doesn’t mean out of style when it comes to this cocktail. You can do it up with an orange slice and a maraschino cherry or just keep it simple.

11. Manhattan

cocktails

Photo courtesy of Graeme Maclean on Flickr

New York has brought the world so many great things: pizza, bagels, the Spoon University headquarters, and this cocktail. Perfect for rye whiskey lovers, bitters and vermouth combine to make a swanky drink.

12. Mint Julep

cocktails

Photo courtesy of kentuckyderby.com

If you prefer your drinks on the sweeter side but still want to go the whiskey/bourbon route, here’s the solution.

Scotch

13. Rob Roy

cocktails

Photo courtesy of TheCulinaryGeek on Flickr

This cocktail is named after Scottish folk hero Rob Roy MacGregor, also known as the Scottish Robin Hood. The drink is reddish in color, a fitting homage to MacGregor’s famed red hair.

14. The Godfather

cocktails

Photo courtesy of seriouseats.com

This drink is straightforward: just equal parts Scotch and amaretto, an Italian liqueur. Reportedly a favorite drink of Marlon Brando (though this report came from Disaronno, an amaretto company), many believe the drink is named after the famous movie.

#SpoonTip: Replace the Scotch with vodka to create a Godmother.

15. Rusty Nail

cocktails

Photo courtesy of Waferboard on Flickr

This cocktail goes all the way back to the 1930s, so no wonder it’s rusty. The Rusty Nail is another simple drink, just Scotch and Drambuie liqueur. Though the exact recipe of Drambuie is secret, it contains Scottish heather honey.

Gin

16. Greyhound

cocktails

Photo by Karen Tedesco

This grapefruit juice drink is bright and refreshing, perfect for the summer. I recommend white grapefruit juice over pink or red.

#SpoonTip: A Greyhound can be made with either gin or vodka, so make sure you specify when ordering.

17. Negroni

cocktails

Photo by Felice Segall

This drink is strong, so pace yourself. The recipe calls for just gin, Campari, and vermouth, but you can add tonic water or orange juice to cut the alcohol content.

18. Gin Sour

cocktails

Photo courtesy of Elenadan on Flickr

You’ve probably heard of a whiskey sour, so now it’s time to meet its little brother: the gin sour. The sour family are all very similar. Take your alcohol of choice, in this case, gin, add lots of lemon juice and even out with sugar.

Champagne

19. St. Germain Cocktail

cocktails

Photo courtesy of Mike McCune on Flickr

If you haven’t tried St. Germain yet, then what are you waiting for? The elder flower liqueur is a fantastic addition to champagne or even white wine. And the cocktail is as simple as anything, just champagne, St. Germain, and a little club soda.

20. French 75

cocktails

Photo courtesy of Jules Morgan on Flickr

Gin meets champagne in a sparkling cocktail. Named after a French canon from WWI, the drink is as powerful as its namesake. Be careful or it may go straight to your head.

21. Kir Royale

cocktails

Photo courtesy of Shari’s Berries on Flickr

This drink is for all the fruit lovers out there. Made with a black raspberry liqueur, the Kir Royale is as tasty as it is pretty. You can even add some fresh raspberries to increase the fruity flavor.