We all love catching some rays, but getting a sunburn sucks. Many foods have been proven to either slow the burn or prevent it altogether, while others can simply be applied to already sun-burned areas to help the sear. Here are some foods you should eat or apply to your skin to help prevent and soothe your sizzling red skin.

1. Salmon  

fish, seafood, salmon fillet, salmon, raw salmon

Salmon, and most fish in general, contain a lot of healthy oils, which contain omega-3 fatty acids. Studies show that they aid in guarding sunburn and DNA changes that lead to cancer. 

2. Almonds

walnut, apricot pits, almond, meat, nut
Kendra Valkema

This nut is essential in protecting against skin damage. Almonds, as well as walnuts and sunflower seeds, contain vitamin E. Vitamin E is an important antioxidant that has been found to help protect skin from the sun’s rays when combined with a beta carotene (found in fruits, veggies, whole grains, or as a supplement). 

3. Oatmeal

rice, cereal, milk, oatmeal, sweet, porridge
Christin Urso

Out of all the foods listed, oatmeal is your best way to go for skin care. Grind it up in a food processor. Once it's smooth, pour it into your bath and soak in all the goodness. 

4. Guava

Eating vitamin C, like that found in this antioxidant-rich fruit, can help prepare your skin for the sun. With a huge amount of vitamin C, guavas are vital to skin protection. Incorporate guavas into your diet here and there, but also don't be afraid of switching it up with other high in vitamin C fruits and veggies like broccoli, or try another citrus fruit.

5. Green Tea

green tea, tea
Nicolecacolaa

Green tea is great for subduing the sun’s powerful radiation. Green tea contains a tannic acid, which helps soothe sunburn. Not only does applying tea bags to your skin help the burn, but drinking green tea, due to it containing catechin compounds, helps to protect your skin from the sun’s rays.

6. Tomatoes

tomato, pasture, vegetable
Luna Zhang

Head to the farmer’s market and pick up a few tomatoes. Not only are they good to eat and help fight against sun damage, but tomato juice can be applied to the affected area for immediate relief.

7. Carrots

shop local, farmer's market, local carrots, local farm, Farm Fresh, local vegetables, carrot, vegetable
Sam Jesner

Carrots aren’t just great for summer cooking, but they’re also jam-packed with carotenoids that help reduce sunburn intensity. They can’t be directly applied to the skin for relief, but eating them consistently will help you catch those healthy rays come summertime.

8. Strawberries

Fruit, red berry, red fruit, sweet, berry, strawberry
Amelia Hitchens

Feeling a sting? Strawberries help provide a natural cure for your painful burn due to their tannin content. Simply mash a few strawberries and apply to the affected area for your best cure.

9. Cucumbers 

vegetable, cucumber
Alex Frank

This vegetable provides relief and a refreshing feel to your skin, without the fragrances or chemical preservatives of some store bought solutions. Simply mashing them up and applying them to your sunburn should do the trick. If you’re really burnt and this doesn’t do it, add glycerin and rosewater to a mashed cucumber and apply as needed for ultimate healing. 

10. Watermelon

melon, watermelon
Tess Wei

Ironically, eating red helps keep you from turning red. Watermelon contains lycopene, which helps decrease your chances of looking like a lobster. Plus, what better time to eat watermelon than in the summer time?

11. Pomegranate

sweet, pomegranate, berry, juice
Dina Zaret

This ruby red fruit contains Ellagic acid, which according to research conducted by the Department of Nutrition and Food Science at Texas A&M University, ca protect your skin from sun damage. Eating plenty of pomegranate during the summer helps keep your skin healthy.

12. Milk

milk, tea, water
Alex Frank

Feeling like your skin is sizzling as we speak? Milk could be your best option. Milk contains proteins that help ease that immediate discomfort. Using gauze or a towel, apply cold milk and rub around the affected area. Keep compressing the milk for 15-20 minutes and repeat every two hours.

13. Potatoes

tuber, carbohydrate, vegetable, pasture, potato
Emily Palmer

Feeling the pain? Potatoes actually have many starchy components that help relieve burns. Cut up raw pieces of potato and rub it on your most burnt spot for relief. 

14. Parsley

herb, parsley, vegetable, relish
Elyse Belarge

Used both dry and fresh, this rich-green herb is an excellent source of antioxidants and vitamin K, vitamin, C, and vitamin A. Not only does it nourish your skin, it also prevents skin damage from the sun. Use the dry parsley for seasoning on food and to help prevent the burn.

15. Dark Chocolate

milk, milk chocolate, sweet, candy, coffee, chocolate
Christin Urso

Dark chocolate may protect our skin but it also beautifies it. The cocoa in chocolate helps blood circulation and hydrates the skin. Eating chocolate (preferably containing 70 percent cacao or more) can help strengthen and protect your skin from the sun. Try this dark chocolate bark recipe for snacking.

16. Wine

coffee, red wine, liquor, alcohol, wine
Alex Frank

Surprisingly, drinking a glass of wine a night does not only improve your heart health, but flavanoids found in wine can also help prevent sunburn by destroying reactive oxygen species (ROS) that react with UV rays to cause the burn. Chocolate and wine? Cheers!

Of course, eating these foods will help prepare your skin for the sun, or help soothe it if it's already burned. But don't go ditching your sun screen just yet. Think of these foods as an add on for prevention, not your main source, and keep your skin glowing all summer long.