Your 20s are a time for growing up. You’re learning all sorts of things from dealing with troubles to taxes. Maybe you’ve just graduated from university or moved out of your parents’ house. It’s okay to be a little clueless about what to do and how to eat. Either way, we all need a little help figuring things out.

Start with these easy tips to get started on becoming a full-fledged adult and ditch those bad health habits. Or just fake it till you make it.

1. Cut down on junk food

health habits

GIF courtesy of cheezburger.com

It’s pretty obvious that shoveling those greasy chips into your mouth every night isn’t the best thing that you could be doing for your body. I’m not saying that you should completely give up junk food forever because that would be absurd. Take it in moderation and use it to reward yourself rather than as your late night dinner because you’re too lazy to make a real meal.

2. Eat less microwave dinners

health habits

GIF courtesy of imgur.com

They’re an easy meal because of their cheap prices, low-maintenance prep, and disposable packaging. But at one point in your life, you’ll realize that you need to stop suffocating your body with this high-sodium tasteless filth and learn how to cook.

Take a class, watch a video, or ask your parents so you don’t end up being that 30-year-old whose fanciest meal in their repertoire is pasta.

3. Reduce your caffeine intake

health habits

GIF courtesy of nintendoage.com

Maybe try to limit your daily caffeine dose to once per day — if you don’t already.

And do you really need that extra sugar in your morning coffee or tea? Ditch the syrup shots and extra whipped cream and try to go with a more modest amount of sweetener. Even better, get rid of those processed sugars and heavy creams altogether and go with a black coffee or tea.

4. Use reusable mugs

health habits

Photo by Karen Tran

You know those paper coffee cups that you get when you take your drink to go?  They’re actually not always recyclable depending on your local government’s waste management system. Save your money and the environment with a fashionably functional reusable mug.

5. Do your dishes

health habits

GIF courtesy of gifbay.com

Been getting the cold shoulder and major side-eye from your roomies? Try not being that roommate who piles their dishes in the sink for days and days. Have some basic etiquette and just wash your dishes after you use them, please.

6. Drink more water

health habits

GIF courtesy of @radiantz on Tumblr

Do yourself a favour and keep hydrated. Your skin/liver/entire body will thank you. There are so many benefits to drinking more water.

Furthermore, swap your soda/alcoholic drink that you order every time you eat out at a restaurant and not only will you save a ton of money, but also a whole lot of calories.

7. Don’t diet-shame

health habits

GIF courtesy @ayekabiznik on Tumblr

Has your friend/significant other/acquaintance recently taken up a plant-based diet? Good for them. Unless their diet is unsafe, there should never be a reason for you to ridicule them for trying to become a better person whether it’s for their health, the environment, for animal rights, or a combination of any.

Support your friends and don’t be afraid to try it out yourself. A certain diet might not be right for you but it’s worth it to try something different for a week/month/year.

8. Learn about your food

health habits

GIF courtesy of @paperbridgeblahs on Tumblr

Ever wonder where your food comes from past the grocery store? You might be surprised to find out how pineapple plants grow or where your food comes from. Take a trip to your local farmer’s market or read up on how your favourite foods are made.

9. Don’t skip meals

health habits

GIF courtesy of @willfosho on Tumblr

So you’re running late yet again and decide to skip breakfast. Now you’re going to be hungry and unfocused for the next few hours, and probably overeat at your next meal. This is a obviously terrible idea but sometimes we forget and it happens, so just try not to do it too often.

10. Invest in a reusable grocery bag

health habits

Photo by Karen Tran

Keep a few reusable bags in hand when you take your weekly trip to the grocery store instead of hoarding a bag of bags under your cupboards. Plenty of stores will often hand out promotional reusable bags so there’s no excuse not to be environmentally conscious. You’ll also save a small fortune because those $0.05 plastic bag fees that a lot of stores charge per bag can really add up.

11. Pack a lunch

health habits

Lunch with your friends or co-workers are a great social outing but if you’re making it your go-to daily hangout, your stomach will soon start to feel as empty as your wallet. Take the extra time to make yourself a healthy lunch in the morning or prepare last night’s dinner leftovers to-go.