Too often, we refer to our pizza or pasta sauce as red sauce. Often associated solely as a pasta topping or spaghetti sauce, most people do not know how versatile marinara actually is. Whether it be on breakfast foods, as a snack, or to spice up your everyday lunch routine, I bet you won't be able to get enough of your new favorite sauce.

1. Marinara and Eggs 

toast, bread, egg, sweet, butter, cake, pastry, cream
Caty Schnack

Have you ever had eggs and salsa? Similar to that iconic combo, marinara and eggs is a delicious way to get some protein in for the day. You can either make it into a breakfast burrito with a tortilla roll or just spread some marinara on the top of an egg and toast.

2. Vegetable Dipping Sauce

vegetable, broccoli, carrot, pepper, onion, garlic, cabbage
Rae Steinbach

It may sound strange, but I love marinara sauce with my vegetables. The vegetables can be cooked or raw, but marinara adds that extra punch of flavor while packing in less calories than salad dressing (marinara is only about 30 calories for a quarter cup).

3. French Fries, Mozzarella Sticks, and Marinara

chicken, meat, fish fingers, mozzarella, vegetable
Isabella Neuberg

Marinara can be substituted for ketchup any day. This Italian favorite has the same tomato flavor, but warm marinara, unlike ketchup, takes French fries and mozzarella sticks to another level.

4. Ramen Topping

chili, soup, vegetable, meat, sauce
Caitlin Wolper

Marinara is most commonly seen with pasta, but if you live at college and are on the go, ramen may be more your style and budget. Pop some ramen on the stove and some marinara in a sauce pan to have a little slice of Italy at home.

5. On Top of Baked Potatoes

cheese, garlic
Liam Kennison

Along with sour cream and shredded cheese, marinara makes an awesome baked potato topping. Simply bake a potato in the oven, then take it out and spread some butter and marinara sauce in the middle. 

6. With Grilled Cheese

tomato, cheese
Elyse Belarge

Swap out your bowl of tomato soup for a dish of marinara to dip your grilled cheese sandwich in. This combination definitely lives up to the traditional dish and may even be arguably better.

7. Soft Pretzel Dip

sweet, jam, bread
Cassandra Bauer

I am a huge fan of Auntie Ann's pretzels, and thankfully they have a soft pretzel called the pepperoni pretzel. This pretzel is served hot with melted cheese on it alongside marinara dipping sauce. Even though cinnamon sugar is still my favorite flavor, my mom claims she dreams of pepperoni pretzels and marinara dipping sauce daily.

8. Marinara Mac n' Cheese

macaroni, cheese, pasta
Alex Weiner

They have every flavor of mac n' cheese available these days, but I can guarantee that adding marinara will be the best topping for your cheesy pasta. The cheesy swirl of noodles and marinara sauce makes for a heart-warming dorm dinner come winter time.

9. Marinara Chip Dip

pepper, vegetable, corn, chili, tomato, guacamole, salsa, herb, condiment
Giselle Palladino

Say goodbye to salsa, and hello to marinara. Use this sauce as an alternative chip dip appetizer for guests if hosting for a night, or as a mid-day snack. 

10. Marinara Soup

jam, marmalade, gelatin, honey, spread
Elizabeth Philip

Yes, I love marinara so much that I have admittedly eaten it as soup. Just sprinkle some basil leaves on top and take an Italian bread loaf out of the oven and you have yourself an authentic dinner, minus the pasta. That's just unnecessary carbs anyway, right?