Now that the beloved smoothie has evolved from a convenient beverage to a liquid art form, it's time to introduce this game-changing Rainbow Smoothie. By using bases like frozen fruit, avocados, and sweet potatoes, your smoothies will be thick enough to evenly layer on top of each other and create a rainbow effect that never fails to impress. All you need are some colorful fruits, a little bit of liquid, and a blender, and you can whip up your own rainbow smoothie.

1. Green Layer  

smoothie, spinach, kale, avocado
Alyssa Cronin

Combine half a frozen banana, a half cup of frozen pineapple, a quarter of an avocado, and a generous handful of spinach and kale to make this healthy fruit and veggie blend. You can also try adding peach or mango to make it even sweeter without taking away from that bright green color. 

2. Yellow Layer

mango, sweet, cream, banana
Alyssa Cronin

Basically, omit the greens from the last recipe and you've got yourself a bright yellow smoothie. I used half of a frozen banana, half of a frozen mango, a half cup of frozen pineapple, and a splash of almond milk. To save time (and some dishes), you can double this recipe, set half of it aside, and then add the avocado, spinach, and kale to the remaining mixture to make the green layer. 

3. Orange Layer

peanut butter, peanut, butter, banana
Alyssa Cronin

You can totally keep it classic and stick with oranges, mangoes, and maybe some carrot juice, but I decided to switch it up by blending a sweet potato (baked and cooled), half of a frozen banana, a dash of cinnamon, and some almond milk. I also tried swapping out the banana for frozen peach and it was the perfect sweetener.

4. Red/Pink Layer

strawberry, banana, smoothie, chocolate
Alyssa Cronin

You can't go wrong with a traditional strawberry-banana smoothie, so I kept it simple with half of a frozen banana, a half cup of frozen strawberries, and some soy milk. Raspberries, cranberries, beets, pitaya, red grapes, watermelon, and pomegranate are also fair game for this layer.  

5. Purple Layer

blueberry, smoothie, blackberry, raspberry
Alyssa Cronin

Although I didn't include this layer in my smoothie, if you're feeling purple (alright it's more of a magenta, I'll admit it), then you can combine a half cup of frozen blackberries, three dates, a frozen banana, and almond milk. Blueberries, plums, beets, and açaí can also do the trick, or you can add avocado for a lighter shade. 

6. The Rainbow

ice, sweet, cream, strawberry, ice cream
Alyssa Cronin

Carefully scoop each flavor individually into your glass or jar. It's super important that you use frozen fruit so that each layer is thick enough to support the next. If you're really struggling to get that ideal consistency, you can add oats or yogurt to thicken any of the smoothies. After a thorough photoshoot and a gorgeous Instagram post (obviously), just grab a straw or a spoon, sit back, and enjoy your delicious masterpiece.