I’m sure the first thought that comes to mind when pondering how to spice up your morning bowl of oatmeal isn’t of all the marvelous possibilities this amazing blank slate of a food holds for all of your flavor desires. However, I’m here to tell you that’s exactly how excited you should be about ground oats.

As an oatmeal lover myself, I began to wonder if I could transform a simple ingredient like oats into a day full of unique and tasty meals. After a comprehensive investigation of this nutrition filled grain, I found some recipes that will send your taste buds on a tantalizing journey they never would have expected from such a simple ingredient.

Breakfast

oatmeal

Photo by Jessica Farber

Breakfast: it’s the most important meal of the day. Blah blah blah, we’ve all heard it enough. I’m here to tell you that oats alone contain heaps of fiber, protein, and nutrients like biotin to give you luscious hair and flawless skin, so they’re a great start to your day.

We’re obviously not going to start you off with boring oatmeal or those overnight oats that everyone is obsessed with. No, we’re going to whip up a delicious ginger, berry, and oats smoothie.

This recipe is a creative twist on a typical breakfast smoothie. The ginger packs a refreshing bite that pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the berries. The star of this recipe, obviously oats, adds texture to the smoothie. This filling drink will keep you full longer and is a perfect option for those rushing off to work and school who don’t always have time to sit down and eat breakfast.

#SpoonTip: If you have time to cook the oats, this further enhances the creaminess of the smoothie.

Not satisfied with our smoothie idea? Try some banana oat pancakes, vegan double chocolate avocado breakfast cookies, or blueberry, oatmeal, and flaxseed muffins to start your morning.

Lunch

oatmeal

Photo courtesy of candidrd.blogspot.com

After a productive morning at the office or at school (that could only be attributed to the delicious smoothie you had for breakfast), it’s time to kick things up a notch for lunch. This next recipe is perfect to try out on the weekends or during the week if you have some extra time.

As a college student, I know that there is never a bad time for pizza. However, the greasy goodness of every college campus’ local pizza joint does not do a body good. I found a healthier option with a crust made of—wait for it—oat flour.

Gina (from The Candid RD) loads on delicious cheeses and veggies to make this one helluva well-rounded pizza. For all the meat-lovers out there, you also have creative freedom when it comes to topping your oat flour pizza crust. Release your inhibitions and go crazy with all of the pepperoni, sausage, and capicola you desire.

If you’ve over that #college pizza life, try falafel sandwiches with tahini sauce, make oat flour at home, or bake some dog treats for your pup.

Dinner

oatmeal

Photo courtesy of abachelorandhisgrill.com

As we near the finale of this glorious journey of oatmeal consumption, I aim to impress. I can only imagine the tantalizing aromas that would fill my kitchenette (if I had one…I live on campus and work with approximately 12 inches of counter space) when cooking up oatmeal with sautéed mushrooms, onion, and thyme.

This deliciously savory dinner is full of heavenly flavors and will keep you satisfied without making you feel like you just walked out of family dinner at your favorite Italian restaurant with a giant food baby.

When onions and thyme just won’t do it for ya, try these svoat recipes (svoat = savory oat), this bacon and egg oatmeal, or make some porridge.

oatmeal

Photo by Nancy Chen

Congrats, you endured eating oatmeal for an entire day! As a household classic, oatmeal could be reduced to a life of bland existence, but the creative minds of the internet have ensured this doesn’t happen. Oats are the ideal blank slate and have the ability to be transformed into a diverse array of foods that every palette will enjoy.