Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but with a new semester and a whole new environment to party in, you've gotta stay informed. College is a new and incredibly over-stimulating experience your first couple of weeks, and there's a newfound freedom you never knew was possible. 

It's important, however, to stay as safe as possible with this freedom. 1 in 4 college students have been victims of sexual assault, and 81% of those attacks happen while the victim is under the influence of some kind of substance. Before going to another party, remember to take a few precautions to make sure you're staying safe whenever you go out. 

Don't put your drink down

milk, coffee, cream, sweet, tea
Emma Glubiak

This may seem like a mantra your parents have drilled into your head, but trust me on this one. Bring your drink with you everywhere. If for some reason you have to put it down, consider it finished. Get a new one and always play it safe rather than sorry.

Don't drink the jungle juice

tea, juice, coffee, sweet
Sarah Bundra

I know how tempting it is. That concoction may literally be calling your damn name—but don't fall for it. God knows how much alcohol is masked by all of the fruit juices. There is a very dangerous possibility that the juice has been roofied.

You never know exactly what you're putting in your body, and for all you know there could already be drugs in the juice. Do yourself a favor and pass on the jungle juice.

Watch your drink being made

tea, ice, sweet, coffee
Claire Waggoner

If you accept an offer for someone to grab you a drink, tag along and watch them make it. It's a win-win situation—you know what's in the drink, and you can be sure that no little pill was dropped in the cup before it reached you.

Stick to the buddy system

juice, ice, cocktail, sweet, lemonade, strawberry, berry
Kirby Barth

This should go without saying, but don't go out without at least one friend who can have your back (or hold you hair back). If you are put in a situation that a sexual assault could happen, having someone looking for you, or noticing that something is not right, can stop that assault before it even begins.

Pump the keg yourself

tea, wine, cinnamon, alcohol, beer, liquor, coffee, cider
Amelia Weller

The party has a keg? Amazing, you love to hear that. If you're gonna grab a beer from a keg, try to weasel your way into pumping it yourself. 

The same concept that has applied to most other precautions on this list apply to pumping the keg yourself—you are in control of your own drink. Nobody can quickly slip something in there if you're the one getting the drink for yourself.

Try to stick to canned beer

beer, coffee, ale, ice
Sharon Cho

As tempting as both the keg and jungle juice may be, you can't go wrong with canned beer. A closed top that you crack yourself, knowing in no way shape or form anyone has tampered with it? I'm all for it, and you should be too.

Hold your drink on the top

tea, coffee
Sarah Bundra

If you get an open container drink, hold it in such a way that your hand covers the top of the cup. Holding it with your palm over the top instead of against the side of the drink will make it harder for anyone to slip anything in without you noticing.

Be Aware

Check your surroundings, and know your drinking limits. If you feel as though you're six shots deep, but have only had a beer, something is wrong—realize that. By being aware of your surroundings and the people around you, it is far less likely that anyone can tamper with your drink.

Stop drinking anything that tastes funny

milk, yogurt, juice
Kelli Haugh

Let's be frank in saying that alcohol typically doesn't taste like the best thing in the world. However, if you start to drink something that tastes off or unusual, stop right there and have no more. Immediately presume that the situation has become unsafe and either leave as soon as possible, or grab a friend to stay with or, better yet, leave together.

There's an argument to be made for the validity of this article. I mean, yeah, I can spend hours researching ways to avoid getting roofied—or people could, ya know, not roofie other people. 

The fact that this article has to be written is an indication of just how far our society has unraveled. Still, I'd rather people know how to party safely, so maybe just take a glance at this before your next Friday night out. College is an entirely new world, so be prepared before entering it.