The sun is finally out, everyone is in a better mood, and warm weather is starting to kick in. Pretty soon, semesters will be ending and summer will be in full swing.

What is so good about all the sun and warm weather though? There has to be something more than just being tan and spending endless hours outside. Let me fill you in on some health benefits that the warm weather actually brings to your life. 

1. Natural sunlight is good for your bones and for stress

water
Tara Shooshani

Sunlight gives your body its much-needed dose of vitamin D,  which helps keep your bones strong and healthy. Being out in the sun signals the body to produce less of the stress hormone, which makes us less stressed and more able to enjoy the summer sun.

2. You're more likely to go out and be active

cake
McKenna Franklin

Not only does the snow make you tired, but it’s just so cold that you don’t want to leave the house. The summer is the exact opposite. Warm weather gives us more reasons to be active. You won’t have to bundle up to step outside, so it’s easier to dress for whatever outdoor workout is your favorite.

3. You'll be in a better mood

water, wine
Grace Ling

The sun signals your body and your brain to produce more of the hormone called serotonin, which makes you happy and improves your mood. You’ll be happier and be able to enjoy your days without having to deal with the wintertime blues (more accurately known as Seasonal Affective Disorder). 

4. You'll be more alert and sleep better 

espresso, coffee
Meredith Simmons

You know that sleepy feeling you constantly have during the winter months? You can thank the lack of sunlight for that because with this lack of sunlight, you produce excessive amounts of melatonin, the hormone responsible for making you tired.

So when the sun comes out, melatonin levels go down and you’re more awake and energized! You may even be able to ditch that second cup of coffee.

5. It's better for your heart and lungs  

cake
Jessica Ciccarella

The cold air makes it hard to breathe. Sub-zero temperatures makes it feel like your lungs are burning, which decreases the amount of time you actually want to spend outside. However, that summertime, warm weather and fresh air gives you just what you need to get outside.

6. Warm weather lowers blood pressure

jujube, apple, pasture
Alex Frank

The cold brings so much negativity into your life that you shouldn’t be surprised that it constricts blood vessels. This constricting of blood vessels makes your heart work harder to pump blood. Warm weather turns this around and opens up the blood vessels and gives the heart a little break so that it doesn’t have to work as hard. 

Whether it's early spring or the middle of summer, the sun and warm weather is proven to be a good thing. Not only does it improve your mood and activity level, but it helps your overall health. So no matter what you're feeling like, make sure to get outside and enjoy the nice weather while it lasts.