Have you been feeling like it's extra hard to get out of bed lately? Are you beginning to lose interest in your hobbies? Do you feel at one with your couch, almost everyday? Seasonal Affective Disorder may be to blame for your sad and unmotivated mood during the winter season.

With the colder weather and shorter daylight hours, winter can have a tremendous impact on our mental, spiritual and physical health. Many of us fall into a winter slump, where we want nothing more but to stay curled up in bed all day.

With spring fast approaching, it is important that we find ways to beat the winter blues. Here are some easy things that you can do if you want to boost your happiness and energy during the last leg of winter.

1. Start the day with a healthy breakfast

You've probably heard this a million times before, but breakfast really is the most important meal of the day. Meal timing actually affects your body's internal clock, and by skipping breakfast or drinking caffeinated beverages on an empty stomach, we are causing our blood sugar to drop, forcing our body to use its stored energy. These unbalanced blood sugar levels can drain your energy quickly and impact your mood. Starting your day off with a healthy breakfast boosts your body's natural energy, giving you the kick you need to start your day. 

These unbalanced blood sugar levels can drain your energy quickly and impact your mood. Starting your day off with a healthy breakfast boosts your body's natural energy, giving you the kick you need to start your day. 

2. Do some spring cleaning

If your sink is overflowing with dishes, your desk is covered in papers, and your bedroom floor has become an obstacle course, it may be time to de-clutter your life. When your life is disorganized, your energy is automatically drained. A messy environment usually interferes with everyday actions like finding things you need, or getting places on time. Not to mention, dust and mold tend to collect on clutter which can encourage allergies, asthma, and troubled breathing to act up.

Don't forget that other aspects of your life need decluttering as well. Your devices, social media accounts, and friend groups should also be cleaned if you feel like they are draining your energy. Cleaning is actually an activity that can help balance your root chakra (Bonus)! 

3. Stock up on those herbs

With society's sudden obsession with wellness, finding information on herbs and other natural products has become super easy. It is well known that certain plants can lift your mood, help you with lethargy, reduce nervousness and lessen insomnia. 

The herb, St. John’s Wort, is an extremely popular, cure-all herbal remedy for many health conditions. It is said to have anti-depressant qualities and helps regulate hormone levels as well. Rose is another herb that has properties as an antidepressant and can be used aromatically to sooth your mind. Make sure you research some natural supplements to decide which herb will boost your mood and help you beat the winter blues. 

4. Go for a walk

With the chilly weather, dark skies, and slushy pathways, going for a walk is probably the last thing on your mind. But, if you have been neglecting forms of physical activity this winter, going for walks can help you get back into shape, lower your blood pressure, strengthen your bones and reduce stress. 

Taking a walk through nature can have additional health benefits as well. Being in a deep forest, strolling through your school campus, and finding local walking trails lets you completely separate from the stresses of society. You can connect with your true self while appreciating the serenity of  the wilderness. 

5. Never forget about self-care

Make sure to use your solo time at home to invest in yourself. If you feel happiest with freshly polished nails or soft skin, spend some time getting a manicure or giving yourself a face mask. Even if you feel yourself falling into a winter slump, always remember what exactly makes you happy, and never forget to incorporate those things into your life.  

6. Do a digital detox

When the weather is cold and the skies are gloomy, it is easy to fall into the bad habit of lying in bed all day and scrolling through social media. When you aren't motivated to get up and spend time outside, you might find yourself inseparable from your devices. But, excessive screen time has been linked to causing prolonged physical and psychological effects in its users. It disrupts sleep patterns, reduces physical activity, and induces stress reactions.

Instead of spending your days in front of a screen, take time to reset your mind. Since excessive technology use impacts your productivity and creativity, indulge in an activity that can help re-activate it, like adult colouring or writing in a journal. With that, it is important to remember that using screen time (Netflix) as a break from other screen time (social media), isn't necessarily good for your brain either. 

No matter where you live or what the climate is like, it is easy to feel like winter has been lingering on way too long. At this point in the year, school starts to pick up, the weather starts to get grey, and it's easy to fall into habits that can perpetuate feelings of negativity and sadness.

While there are environmental factors that undoubtably affect your mood and well-being, there are always things that you can do cheer yourself up when you're feeling low. And when you're taking care of your physical and mental well-being, it's easy to tackle the winter blues. Try incorporating some of these tips into your day, and you'll wake up every morning feeling ready to take on the day. Before you know it, spring will have sprung!