Homemade granola is a personal favourite of mine. I like to make a large amount of it and store in mason jars for later. Nutritious and filled with energy, granola makes the perfect studying and post-workout snack. This is a step-by-step guide on how to make your own granola. If you're looking for an alternative shape to regular granola, try making them into clusters.

Spoon Tip: The ingredients can be modified, here I have made a crunchy nut cranberry flavour.

Crunchy Cranberry Granola

• 2 cups mixed nuts
  • 1/2 cup dried unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1 cup Quaker oats
  • 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
  • 3/4 cup dried cranberries
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
  • 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
granola, chocolate
Jasmine Carter

Pre-heat oven to 140°C. Add the oats, nuts and cinnamon to a blender and pulse until it's broken up into a crumbly texture. Here I have used Brazil nuts, walnuts, pecans, almonds, cashews and macadamias.

oatmeal, chocolate
    Jasmine Carter

Place the coconut oil in a bowl and put into the microwave for about 30 seconds to melt it. Add the melted coconut and maple syrup to the dry mixture and mix it in a bowl. If you like your granola really sweet add some more maple syrup.

syrup, tea, whisky, wine, maple syrup, liquor, alcohol, beer
    Louise Ferrall

Put the mixture onto a baking tray and place in a heated oven for about 15 minutes, until it's golden brown. Half way through cooking take it out and give it a mix. Leave it to sit for 20 minutes until it gets crunchy and add the dried cranberries, unsweeted dried coconut flakes and a few whole nuts. Once the mixture is cool and crunchy, store it in mason jars.

cereal, hash
    Jasmine Carter

It's great to sprinkle some on top of Greek yoghurt for breakfast.

You can also make your granola into bars and add powdered whey protein for protein bars.

The ingredients can all be modified based on preferences. Some other options include adding dark chocolate chips and freeze dried raspberries.