Although most people consider my diet to be "healthy" and "plant-based," that was not always the case. I grew up in the typical Italian-American family. This meant, food was everything. Rather than interacting in activities with my family and creating holiday traditions, we glorified the importance of food. Not until recently had I come to the realization that yes, I was addicted to the sweet and diverse desserts my mom continuously made. 

Sugar is detrimental to human health. Would you ever compare eating a cookie to drinking a beer? Well, both are broken down by our livers. Sugar specifically is turned into fructose and gets stored as fat. On the other hand, the glucose from the sugar is highly toxic and contributes to diseases like diabetes, obesity, metabolic syndrome and more. If this isn't frightening enough, did you know you may not actually have control over how much sugar you eat?

No, these are not "alternative facts" and yes, it's true sugar is highly addictive. But this doesn't mean you can't kick your sugar addiction and improve your health. It's a slow and bumpy process but the decision is unquestionably worth it in the long run. 

Substitue 

Photo by Jennifer Pallian | Unsplash

foodess on unsplash

Coming to college and not being around the plethora of sugary snacks that I had at home forced me to resort to other means of curbing my sweet tooth. Rather than having a piece of cake or cookie from the dining hall, (they're not even comparable to my moms) I was resorting to eating fruit instead. My favorite guilt free desserts include, granola with plant-based milk, whole wheat toast topped with nut butter, banana and cinnamon, and apple smothered in nut butter.

Listen to Your Body

Photo by Laura Ockel | Unsplash

viazavier on unsplash

Listening to cravings is essential for optimal health. Your body is this wonderful contraption that can speak to you through means of cravings and feelings. Being a further distance from the dining hall in comparison to my kitchen at home forced me to listen to my body and sense when I was actually hungry versus just bored. Instead of defaulting to eating a snack when I'm unsure, I drink a cup of tea to see if my hunger is satiated. If not, I make conscious decisions at the dining hall by keeping my health goals in mind.

Have Back Ups 

Holiday cake, by NordWood Themes | Unsplash

nordwood on unsplash

I guarantee that while you are trying to limit your sugar intake your body will have withdrawals. I'm not kidding it's a thing! You may have headaches, be hangry, or have intense cravings. I'm not telling you to cold-turkey this change overnight, but when you do need a pick-me-up I suggest eating in moderation. I keep dark chocolate in my dorm room to help subside any sweet tooth I may have. Dark chocolate is lower in sugar than regular chocolate, is loaded with antioxidants, and most of the time is actually vegan. Over time your body will learn to rely on natural whole foods for its source of energy rather than sugar. 

Don't Be Afraid to Eat Carbohydrates

Photo by Lukas Budimaier | Unsplash

lukasbudimaier on unsplash

Going to college and being able to finally make my own food choices gave me the opportunity to go vegan. The problem with low carbohydrate diets is that theres no glucose going to the brain. This makes people sluggish and grumpy. Not all foods that produce glucose are bad though. Whole grains, starches, fruits and vegetables are all essential food groups that provide proper nutrients for your body. Don't be afraid to eat baked potatoes with natural ketchup. These "good" carbs will prevent sugar crashes by supplying a constant glucose flow to the brain. After making this change, you shouldn't need sweet treats to boost you back up.

You will have good days, cheat days, and everything in between on your journey towards a more healthy diet. However, that doesn't mean you should get discouraged and give up. Just like any addiction, it takes time for your body to heal. Just remind yourself of why you want to make this change and how far you have already come. Good luck on your journey towards kicking your sugar addiction in the a**.