Balancing a heavy course load, making lifelong friends, being part of different organizations, and having a great college experience can be tough. Throw in eating healthy, and it's nearly impossible.

Through the tests and trials of my freshman year, I have learned munching on right snacks is the key to a happier life, a happier you, and is a great way to avoid the Freshman 15. Here are five healthy snacks that will keep you feeling full.

1. Nuts

walnut, meat, almond, nut
Torey Walsh

Nuts are a super nutritious and healthy source of protein. My personal favorite is almonds because they keep me super full. Put them in a Ziploc baggy, throw them in your bag and you're good to go.

#SpoonTip: Throw some dried berries (like cranberries) in to satisfy the occasional sweet tooth.

2. Dark Chocolate

coffee, tea, beer, salt
Rachel Tison

Dark chocolate has some great qualities. It has antioxidants, lowers risk of cardiovascular disease, and may improve blood flow. Don't consume copious amounts of it, but a couple pieces a night won't hurt. Plus, we all have bad days in college, so it's the perfect way to #Treatyoself

3. Hummus

bread
Parisa Soraya

As a vegetarian, hummus is a complete lifesaver. It's filling, versatile, and packed with protein. You can it eat with crackers, tortilla chips, carrots, pita, or even spread it on some bread. It's perfect when you're not hungry for a big meal, or if you just want to eat something filling that isn't overbearing or too light.

4. Granola Bars

chocolate, candy, pecan, nut, sweet
Emma Delaney

Chances are you grew up eating granola bars. You ate them during sporting events or other after school activities. Well, college is the perfect place to continue this habit. A lot of granola bars are under 100 calories, and there's one out there for everyone. It's the perfect grab-and-go, because we all know you don't have time for a real breakfast before your 8 am. Here are some of the healthy ones that I recommend.

5. Popcorn

kettle corn, butter, cereal, caramel, salt, corn, popcorn
Sara Carte

Bite-sized snacks are always a winner, and so is popcorn. Popcorn provides the perfect warmth and bitterness that we all crave. That being said, don't overdo the butter because then it's no longer healthy. Popcorn is easy to munch on while you're trying to do homework and is guaranteed to make studying a little less painful.

While there's no perfect guide to eating right in college, it's the excess junk food that often causes weight gain. If you're anything like me, you want a snack when you're working hard. These will keep you satisfied and are so much better than potato chips.