Weekly study groups, social outings, group projects—it seems that in college students need to be with others in order to thrive. But sometimes, hanging around people all the time can get too hectic and fast-paced, and we need time to relax and think through things. It's important to spend "me-time" in order to keep a healthy balance in college, so here's 5 ways you can take a break that don't involve other people.

1. Bake or Cook

bacon, cheese, pizza
Maria Serghiou

This is Spoon University after all, and what could be more relaxing that eating one of those yummy home-cooked meals? There's recipes for those college students who only have access to a microwave, while there's others that basically one-up the classic dish (think mac and cheese, but baked in a potato kind of thing). If you're feeling sweets, we don't blame you—whatever makes you feel more at peace with yourself.

2. Journaling

I've kept a journal since my sophomore year of high school, and I think it's a great way to remember special moments in your life. Also, journaling is a non-consequential way to vent to someone (or something, in this case) without hurting someone or being scared of bad words spreading. It's like having a heart-to-heart talk with yourself.

3. Go on a Run

Yes, and go by yourself. Don't listen to music as you run either, just think, as running is actually more as a "thinking person" sport. Just listen to the nature around you, enjoy the weather, and focus on your breathing pattern. It helps you live in the moment more and momentarily forget about whatever tasks you have to do.

4. Reading a Book

By book, I mean a fun book like those you used to read as a kid, not a textbook. It's really easy to forget that really good and interesting books exist out there when all we have in our current repertoire of books is organic chemistry chapters and math proofs. So pick up a book sometimes, set aside maybe 1-2 hours and escape reality.

5. Start a no-stress project.

If you like computer coding, learn a new language. If you like to draw, paint a mural or start canvas painting. Whatever you choose, make sure it's something you enjoy doing and lets you take a break from the real world. Make it your thing, and make it belong to you.

Although this list is not exhaustive, these are just a few suggestions of new activities you could take up on to help you relax. Maybe you could try something new every month and see  where your interests lie. Experiment with everything, and remember to always keep some part of the day to yourself so you can unplug and unwind from the day.