Acne—we've all been there. It's not only annoying, but it can wreck havoc on your confidence. If that's not enough of a Debbie Downer, just take a look at the number of products on the market. There are (seemingly) millions of creams, face washes and toners out there made of chemicals you can barely pronounce. Plus, once you feel like you've found the magic combination, your skin seems to build a resistance and *wham* you're back to step one (thanks pharmaceutical industry). It's a frustratingly vicious cycle.

I've gone through it all myself—my face erupted after I stopped taking the pill, and for two years I delt with (and still deal with) consistent breakouts. This time around however, I decided to do things a little differently. I said "enough" to the commercialized regimens, and went back to what's natural, non-toxic and genuinely effective long term. After heaps of research and countless trials, I've come up with a list of my favorite acne remedies that you can find in your home kitchen

1) Honey

honey, oil
Joanna Harnish

Most known for its anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, honey is a great way to reduce the redness and puffiness of acne. What's lesser known is that honey is also a humectant, meaning it'll naturally retain your skin's moisture (dry skin club rejoice). Manuka is the most ideal type to use topically, however because it's also the highest quality, the price can be expensive. This being so, if you find that you just can't shell out the extra cash, anything that's raw and organic will also get the job done.

Method: To get its full benefits, put a thin layer all over that pre-rinsed face of yours and let sit for at least 30 minutes (I sometimes keep it on for a couple hours if I'm having a lazy night in). Wash off with warm water, and gently pat your face dry. Voilá, a new you! Pooh bear would be so proud.

Personal Effectiveness: ★★★✩

See 25 more ways to use this ooey gooey goodness here

2) Lemon

lime, lemonade, juice, citrus, lemon
Joanna Harnish

When life gives you lemons, make an acne treatment. This popular citrus is chock-full of beneficial pimple-fighting properties: it's anti-bacterial, mildly astringent (which makes your face less oily), a natural bleaching agent (which will reduce post-acne red marks) and thanks to vitamin C, encourages new skin cell growth. It's miraculous. Use this treatment in moderation as it can make your skin dry after use, and unless you're a masochist, I suggest forgoing it all together if there are any open sores on your face.  

Method: Slice a lemon into wedges or slices and squeeze juice into the palm of one of your clean hands (you'll only really need one wedge at a time). Rub palms together and transfer juice to face, distributing a thin layer where needed. Keep on for 20 minutes to overnight, then wash off with warm water. Pat dry and moisturize.

Personal Effectiveness: ★★★★ 

In love with lemon's citrusy goodness? Here's 7 more ways to incorporate it into your life. 

3) Baking Soda

sweet
Joanna Harnish

It can be used to brighten your clothes, your teeth and your tiles, so it should come to no surprise that this magical white powder will also naturally brighten your skin. Scientifically, baking soda is known as an amphoteric substance (meaning it can act as an acid or a base), making it perfect for balancing your skin's pH. As a gentle exfoilant, it also helps to remove those yucky layers of dead skin, while also reducing redness and oiliness.

Method: Wet your face with warm water. Sprinkle a small amount of baking soda into one hand and distribute to your face. Softly (and I mean softly) move your hands around your face in a circular motion for a few seconds. Let sit for a couple minutes, then rinse off with warm water (don't leave on face much longer or press too hard as it can be extremely irritating). Moisturize your face, and ta da—your face is as soft as a baby's butt.

Personal Effectiveness: ★★★★

To see more of the gazillion uses for baking soda, hop over to  Arm & Hammer's website here.

4) Potato

sweet, potato
Joanna Harnish

The most unexpected, yet effective pantry item thus far is the  potato. These tubers contain oodles of vitamins and hit the the acne fighting trifecta by lightening hyper-pigmentation, drying oily skin and killing off harmful bacteria. Plus if you eat mashed potatoes while doing this treatment, you're one step closer to becoming a french fry—that's the dream, right? 

Method: Wash a potato and slice it as thinly as possible (either into discs or tater-shaped slabs, whatever you can muster). Place pieces onto clean face, focusing on trouble areas (this works best if you are as horizontal as possible, so recline away). Let sit for at least 30 minutes, but the longer the better. Rinse face with warm water and moisturize. 

Personal Effectiveness: ★★★★★

Use potatoes to their fullest potential with these other handy hacks.

5) Ice

milk, ice, cream, flour, sweet, fish
Joanna Harnish

Just like the rapper, ice cube(s) are famous for performing. Unlike the rapper, this cube will bring down inflammation and redness from your pesky spots by constricting blood vessels and slowing down nerve activity. This treatment can be done every day, so go ahead and ice, ice, baby.

Method: Grab a couple ice cubes from the freezer and put them into a bowl. Using a wash cloth or paper towel, pick up a piece and place on your pimple of choice. Hold ice on the spot for a couple minutes at a time until it has melted (taking breaks in between). Moisturize your face and whoomp there it is. 

Personal Effectiveness: ★★★★

Find 9 cool new ways to use ice here.

Although these techniques are fantastic for helping your body outside, just remember that acne is almost always a symptom of somthing going on internally (like poor eating habits, digestive issues, or a hormonal imbalance). So if you're really struggling to control your breakouts, it might be time to visit a traditional or naturopathic doctor (not a dermatologist) and get things checked out. Until then, try out some (or all) of these methods and see what works for you.