If you’ve got a sweet tooth like me, there’s nothing quite like the Twinkie. It’s got a simple glory to it: yellow cake filled with cream. It’s not so bad deep fried, either.

As it turns out, the snack’s simplicity makes it pretty easy to replicate on your own. Just follow the steps below and in 30 minutes you’ll have your own batch of steaming Twinkies, fresh out of the oven. Not sure if they’ll last through a nuclear bomb like the real thing, but they’ll still taste hella good.

Homemade Twinkies

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:20 minutes
  • Total Time:30 minutes
  • Servings:5-6

• 16 oz yellow cake mix
  • 4 eggs
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 7 oz marshmallow cream
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1/3 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Using a spice bottle and tin foil, make the molds for the Twinkie cakes by folding the foil around the shape of the bottle. Carefully remove the bottle.

Grease the molds.

Break the eggs into a small bowl and whisk thoroughly.

Mix the cake mix with 2/3 cup water until thoroughly blended. Then, add eggs and mix until completely combined.

Fill each mold about ¾ full of batter.

Bake molds at 325℉ for 30 minutes or until golden brown. To check, stick a toothpick into the cakes. When it comes out clean, they’re ready.

Mix the powdered sugar, shortening, marshmallow cream, and vanilla extract until light and fluffy. You can add ½ cup of water to make the cream more fluid.

Remove cakes from oven and gently unwrap them from the molds.

Use a toothpick or skewer to poke three holes in the bottom of each cake, moving it around to create a cavity inside the cake.

Use a piping bag to fill the cakes with cream. Make sure not to crack them.

Enjoy.