Now that it finally feels like fall, it’s time to pack up the popsicle stand and break out the seasonally appropriate desserts (but if you really still need your ice cream fix, check out these apple pie ice cream sandwiches).

But forget apple pie, fudge is making a comeback this season with this super easy recipe. Whether it’s sprinkled with crushed peppermint sticks or studded with pecans and maple sugar, fudge is reminiscent of roaring fires, warm sweaters, and the chill of changing seasons.

If you’re a fan of chocolate and peanut butter (who isn’t?) or prefer the crunch of toasted coconut, you can customize this fudge to meet your heart’s desire.

Don’t be afraid to get creative with the mix-ins. Some combinations we tried (and loved) were graham cracker and marshmallow, white chocolate chunks and dried cranberries, toasted coconut and chopped pecans or peanut butter and Reese’s peanut butter cups. If it’s too hard to choose, you can throw everything in the bowl (and for a cookie version of this check out kitchen sink cookies).

If you prefer a softer and gooier fudge, use milk chocolate chips rather than semisweet chocolate chips. And make sure to press your toppings into the fudge before freezing so that they don’t fall off when you start cutting.

#SpoonTip: If you’re using peanut butter as a topping (rather than mixing it in to the fudge), it will take longer to set. You can add a teaspoon of coconut oil to the peanut butter if you want it to solidify faster.

What are you waiting for? When you only need two ingredients and a microwave, there’s no reason you shouldn’t already be whipping up a batch of this delectable treat.

Chocolate Fudge

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:3 hours
  • Total Time:3 hours 10 minutes

• 12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
  • Mix-ins of your choice (ex: nuts, candy, caramel, etc.)
Photo by Heather Feiblemen

Line a baking pan (or plastic container) with aluminum foil.

Pour the chocolate chips into a microwavable bowl.

Photo by Heather Feibleman

Add the condensed milk to the bowl and mix until combined.

Microwave on high for 3 minutes.

Take the bowl out of the microwave and stir for a few seconds.

#SpoonTip: If necessary, microwave in 30 second intervals until chocolate is completely melted.

Add any additional mix-ins of your choice (ex: peanut butter, pecans, caramel, crushed peppermint sticks, etc.).

Stir until everything is combined.

Pour the mixture into the prepared container.

Pop the fudge into the freezer for approximately 3 hours or until it has set. The thicker you made your fudge, the longer it will take to set.

Pictured: the pre-freeze meltiness

Take out and cut into cubes.

Share your fudge with friends (or eat it all yourself, we don’t judge).