Whether or not you remember what happened last night, this recipe is sure to make up for any less than desirable moments. With only five ingredients, you can whip up these mini pop-tarts for an exceptional breakfast. Crisp, buttery pockets of pie crust filled with strawberry jam and topped with a simple icing and sprinkles. They are downright addictive, dare we say even better than the real thing. The best part is that the sprinkles swirl rainbows of color in your bowl of milk. We can’t think of a sweeter reason to become a morning person.

Mini Pop-Tarts Cereal

• Prep Time:1 hour
  • Cook Time:12-14 minutes
  • Total Time:1 hour 14 minutes
  • Servings:3-4

• 1 box pre-made pie crust
  • 1/4 cup strawberry jam
  • 2 teaspoon milk, plus more for dabbing the crust and serving
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • nonpareils
Photo by Arden Sarner

Unroll the crust and roll the dough to about 12 inches across.

GIF by Arden Sarner

Cut the dough into rectangles that you can fold in half. These were 1 1/2 inches by 2 inches.

GIF by Arden Sarner

Dab milk around the edges of each rectangle.

GIF by Arden Sarner

Spoon the jam in a plastic bag, avoiding adding any large clumps of fruit, and seal.

GIF by Arden Sarner

Snip a tiny corner off the plastic bag and squeeze a little jam on one half of each piece of dough.

GIF by Arden Sarner

Fold each piece of dough over and press the edges lightly so they stick together.

GIF by Arden Sarner

Crimp each edge with a fork.

GIF by Arden Sarner

Bake on a parchment-lined baking tray at 350°F for 12-14 minutes, until golden.

GIF by Arden Sarner

In a bowl add the powdered sugar. Slowly add the milk, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, until it just forms an icing. You want it as thick as possible while being spreadable.

GIF by Arden Sarner

Spread icing on each mini tart and top with sprinkles. Let dry for 2 hours or until the icing is hard.

GIF by Arden Sarner

Enjoy in a bowl with milk, if they make it that far.

GIF by Arden Sarner